Places in Earley/Lower Earley for Commuting to Kendrick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
almond

Places in Earley/Lower Earley for Commuting to Kendrick

Post by almond »

hi,
I'm planning to move to Earley soon and looking for places in Earley/Lower earley in Reading.
Could you please suggest areas/lanes which are good and near to bus stops ( to Kendrick) and also near by/catchment to good infant/primary schools ( for my second child who is 3 years now)

Thanks
mad?

Re: Places in Earley/Lower Earley for Commuting to Kendrick

Post by mad? »

Given the choice I would go to old Earley (much nicer tbh) and get near Aldryngton Primary. This would also put you close to Maiden Erlegh secondary in which case you would not need Kendrick. However, if determined to be near a bus stop for this be aware that the 17 goes from the 3 Tuns and the 20 (or is it 21 now sorry Tinkers?) goes from the junction of Pepper Lane and Wilderness Road.
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The 20 has been and gone.

There’s the 17 and the 21, depending on where you live. There’s also the various 19s but from what I’ve heard they aren’t so reliable and don’t run as often. The 21 gets quite full quite quickly, and is often full by pepper lane.
The 4/X4 would be fine if you live near the Wokingham road too.

The reading buses website had a map of routes so you can see where the buses go.

The 21 stops closer to Kendrick, the 17 stops a little further away but it’s still just a short walk (DD does it everyday).

Note that there have been various changes to the 21 and 19s over the last few years and I have no doubt there will be more. The 17 is such an established route they wouldn’t dare tinker with it (it was the old trolley bus route).

If you live close to enough to Earley train station that is also an option, but it’s a longer walk from Reading station to school.

The university area is also quite good, and your DD would then be able to walk.

Houses near ME are expensive due to being in catchment for ME and Aldryngton. If you don’t need to be close to ME then I’d look further away. There’s now ME in Reading anyway, will a similar ethos and they share staff. Quite a number of my friends are actively choosing Bulmershe over ME/MER, so of you are considering alternative secondaries any one of those is a good option.
Primaries locally are mostly all good, but also tend to be oversubscribed.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

https://www.reading-buses.co.uk/services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
almond

Post by almond »

mad? and Tinkers, Thank you very much for the detailed information.
I'll check the timetables and road maps. By the way mad? when you referred old Earley does that mean area near Aldryngton Primary?
mad?

Post by mad? »

almond wrote:mad? and Tinkers, Thank you very much for the detailed information.
I'll check the timetables and road maps. By the way mad? when you referred old Earley does that mean area near Aldryngton Primary?
West of Aldryngton generally speaking then upwards to the 3 Tuns. But ignore me, Tinkers is more on it than I am! Good luck :)
ETA Gorgeous houses in Uni area AND DD could walk to Kendrick, not so sure about primaries there though...
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

For the uni area, Redlands and Alfred Sutton. Both highly thought of, but Redlands allocations are very tight indeed.
Also Earley St Peter’s, but a bit more of a walk for uni area. Again highly thought of, and whilst a CofE school has a high proportion of non Christian children.

You’ll need to check both sides of the border ie Wokingham and Reading for schools. There’s plenty of cross border movement for schools, with Reading children at Wokingham schools and vice versa. This is getting less as allocations tighten up, but still very much present.

(IMHO the boundary is in a daft place but there you go)

You could go a little further out and consider Winnersh or Woodley. I don’t know the primaries but alternative secondaries all would be fine.
almond

Post by almond »

Once again thank you mad? and Tinkers for quick and detailed info.
I'll explore these areas you mentioned and shall check with you if I have any queries..
By the way in Wokingham and woodley , do you know if there are good schools for primary ( for my little one ) and if there is similar bus transportation like from Earley to Kendrick..
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Outside of Earley, I’m clueless about primaries. Sorry. However I haven’t heard bad things about any in particular.

From Wokingham there’s the train (which is what most girls use) or the 4/X4 which is slower.

There’s the 13/14 from Woodley.
almond

Post by almond »

Tinkers wrote:Outside of Earley, I’m clueless about primaries. Sorry. However I haven’t heard bad things about any in particular.

From Wokingham there’s the train (which is what most girls use) or the 4/X4 which is slower.

There’s the 13/14 from Woodley.
ok thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now