Aylesbury Grammar Late Transfer 12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
humphrer

Aylesbury Grammar Late Transfer 12+

Post by humphrer »

Hello

I am new to this forum and the whole grammar school process and am looking for some advice if possible. I am looking at putting DS into the 12+ late transfer in February in the hope of getting a place at AGS. He did not do the 11+ but his CAT and INCAS scores are all 121+ so I am hopeful he can pass. If he had sat the 11+ and passed last year, according to the allocation criteria he would have received a place for year 7.

My question is until last week AGS had availability in year 7 but currently is indicating full. When I look at their allocations for late transfer last year they offered a place to everyone who applied in year 8. Does anyone have any idea how many people apply for year 8 places at AGS? Are extra places created or was last year an unusual year?

Thanks in advance.
Guest55

Re: Aylesbury Grammar Late Transfer 12+

Post by Guest55 »

You can always appeal and people do move away creating spaces. I'd go for it but explain to your son he may not get a place; it's worth listing the Floyd as well.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Hello and welcome.

At this stage of the year, I doubt anyone will be able to predict how many spaces the current year 7 might have by next September. You're relying on people leaving the school and others not moving into the area mid-year and qualifying in-year filling those spaces. You've nothing to lose by going for it. If you're in or around Aylesbury there's Sir Henry Floyd grammar school, too.
humphrer

Post by humphrer »

Thank you for the advice. I guess I never really considered Henry Floyd because AGS appears to have more spaces available historically and across year groups.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

You're probably doubling your chances by considering both and (whisper it), I think that SHFGS is the better school.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Have you visited both schools, they are very different - obviously with two DS's at AGS (one Year 7 entry and one Year 9 entry - now Year 12 & Year 10) that would be my preference, however I have close friends with children at SHFGS and love it there. From my personal experience I have found AGS to be a warm, friendly, supportive school, especially with my late entry DS. Both boys love their school. One loving sports/drama/science and the other maths/science/engineering - both found their niche.

AGS did everything to make my late entry welcome, even rearranging his class timetable to allow for languages. He had studied German at his secondary school, so had missed a great deal of French by Year 9, AGS did give him the option of trying catch up or concentrate on German. My DS chose just German, the school therefore gave him double German - joining other German classes when his class did French. The added benefit of this ... his German came on leaps and bounds.

In the end, we can only advise, you must visit the schools and get a 'feel' for them - only you know your child and if you child qualifies and is fortunate to get a late transfer place you need to know in your mind that you made the right choice. Good Luck :) x x x
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I could repeat all of the last post but with SHFGS instead of AGS. DS joined in Year 8 and they put on additional language lessons for those who had only done one language in Year 7 so they could catch up.

Go round and do see both schools :)
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Guest55 wrote:I could repeat all of the last post but with SHFGS instead of AGS. DS joined in Year 8 and they put on additional language lessons for those who had only done one language in Year 7 so they could catch up.

Go round and do see both schools :)
Hi Guest55, the school did offer that option (my mistake on the explanation) - as DS had missed two years of French (Y7 & Y8) he obviously felt more comfortable with what he knew - I left the decision to him and the school were happy to go with that.

humphrer, there are plus points for both schools - do visit them both as Guest55 says, go with an open mind - we did and to be honest with DS2 we did like SHFGS, he was already at a co-ed school and worked well with girls, however as a late transfer and having a DS already at AGS we felt we had more chance of getting a place if applying there. We did - DS was one of two boys who started in Year 9. DS fitted in quickly to AGS and loves it; he did not miss having girls in his class - although with an older sister he's used to girls and knowing his place :lol:
Heartmum x x x