Wilson's School Leavers Destination - Oxbridge

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PS2000

Wilson's School Leavers Destination - Oxbridge

Post by PS2000 »

Hello All,

Was interested to know what is the hit rate for Oxbridge Universities for Wilson's Leavers

Did some digging but could not find much information. There was some data from 2013 which indicated not many went to Oxbridge.

Will really appreciate insight from the members of the forum.

Thanks in Advance.
Irisa

Re: Wilson's School Leavers Destination - Oxbridge

Post by Irisa »

In 2013 there were 24 it seems: http://www.wilsonsschool.sutton.sch.uk/ ... 202013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 2015 there were 10 (from 6 Form brochure). In 2016 there were 24; 2018 - 15.
Last edited by Irisa on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PS2000

Post by PS2000 »

Thank you Irisa.. I was going through the PDF of 2013.. Do you mind telling how did you calculate 18 . It has the below details

University of Oxford
----------------------
Biochemistry
Biological Sciences
Engineering
German
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy,
Politics and Economics Physics

University of Cambridge
--------------------------
Architecture (2)
Computer Science
Economics
Engineering English (3)
Geography (3)
History (2)
Medicine Natural Sciences
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

PS2000, may I ask why this is of interest? Assumably you wouldn’t make the daft connection that however many went in previous years that this would have any bearing on anything in the future? Because, of course, it depends on the individuals in a cohort. And, of course, particularly if your child hasn’t started at a school, so very much can change in 7 years, by the time they get to the 6th form...and that is before you understand that depending on what a child wants to do at university (and it must be their choice, not a parents desire), Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Choosing a school is hard but do not choose a school based on Oxbridge numbers historically which has zip bearing on what might happen in the future.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:PS2000, may I ask why this is of interest? Assumably you wouldn’t make the daft connection that however many went in previous years that this would have any bearing on anything in the future? Because, of course, it depends on the individuals in a cohort. And, of course, particularly if your child hasn’t started at a school, so very much can change in 7 years, by the time they get to the 6th form...and that is before you understand that depending on what a child wants to do at university (and it must be their choice, not a parents desire), Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Choosing a school is hard but do not choose a school based on Oxbridge numbers historically which has zip bearing on what might happen in the future.
Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Tut, tut, KCG :shock: . With an attitude like that, I'm surprised that your DC have been left in your care...

You don't understand- if it's not offered at Oxbridge, one's DC simply don't want to study it :roll: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:lol: :lol:
PS2000

Post by PS2000 »

ToadMum wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:PS2000, may I ask why this is of interest? Assumably you wouldn’t make the daft connection that however many went in previous years that this would have any bearing on anything in the future? Because, of course, it depends on the individuals in a cohort. And, of course, particularly if your child hasn’t started at a school, so very much can change in 7 years, by the time they get to the 6th form...and that is before you understand that depending on what a child wants to do at university (and it must be their choice, not a parents desire), Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Oxbridge may not be the best place for that.

Tut, tut, KCG :shock: . With an attitude like that, I'm surprised that your DC have been left in your care...

You don't understand- if it's not offered at Oxbridge, one's DC simply don't want to study it :roll: .
I knew I will get some flak for the question :) ... Wilson is our top preference and I was curious to know what is the current trend on the leavers destination.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Your DC may not even want to go to sixth form at Wilson's. It's fine to look at this sort of thing out of general interest but querying whether there were 13 or 18 Oxbridge leavers in 2013, which is at least 12 years before your own DC will be leaving, seems unnecessary.
PS2000

Post by PS2000 »

streathammum wrote:Your DC may not even want to go to sixth form at Wilson's. It's fine to look at this sort of thing out of general interest but querying whether there were 13 or 18 Oxbridge leavers in 2013, which is at least 12 years before your own DC will be leaving, seems unnecessary.
Hi streathammum, The reason I was querying the number as I was not sure how to interpret the PDF.. Some courses have numbers In brackets and some don't and I was not able to add that up... This would have also helped me to understand what courses are being offered.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

But the courses that received Oxbridge offers in 2013 won't bear any resemblance to the ones that are offered in 2025.