Out of Zone advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
janetmary

Out of Zone advice

Post by janetmary »

We are thinking of getting our son to sit the exam in Nov 08. We live in Chester but my husband drives past WGB every day so the distance isn't much of an issue. Could then consider relocating to Wirral if my daughter also passes the following year. All in all a bit of a gamble but they are both at the top of the class in a good primary, the local comp is poor and King's is too expensive for us.

I get the impression that there are quite a few pupils from Cheshire now, but school transport doesn't extend as far as Chester itself.

Does anyone have any similar experiences.

Thanks

PS Rather surprisingly my son doesn't seem bothered about the concept of going to a school where he doesn't know anyone. This is probably because his 4 main friends already go to 4 different schools. He just wants to go somewhere where he'll learn a lot!
guest42

Post by guest42 »

Hi. The biggest challenge you have is that if the Grammar School is oversubscribed distance from the school is used to determine admission. In recent years grammar schools on Wirral seem to have seesawed between under and over subscription. In an undersubscribed year then simply passing the 11+ would be enough, in an oversubscribed year I think it would be nigh on impossible to get a place living in Chester.

One possibility, especially if you are Catholic, would be to consider St. Anselms which is a Catholic grammar school on Wirral, but to my knowledge does not use distance from the school in determining admission. It also has a reputation for not being as 'intense' as WGB.
hari

Post by hari »

St Anselms and Upton are reducing their intake numbers next year . I t was in the local press . What that means I don't know ! Just another factor to bear in mind.... :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now