Extenuating circumstances?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Weakandwobbly

Extenuating circumstances?

Post by Weakandwobbly »

My ds has just scored 116 on the Bucks test (Vr 111, math 120 and NVR 124). I have yet to speak to the HT , but I'm worried that he won't give a GS recommendation. I say this because DS had undiagnosed Aspergers, had variable attitude to learning and some tricky behaviour ever since he started school. Due to the slow turning wheels of trying to get him a diagnosis, he finally got diagnosed at the end of this summer. Cue mad scramble to contact BCC and they did give adjustment of 10% extra time, a prompt and a quiet room. I must add that we had to wait until after the main cohort had already got their results before we got our exam date. My ds found this most unnerving. Not ideal for a routine-driven Aspergers person.

Bearing in mind he had little school support for things like anxiety and organisation he has always been at EXS for math and English. However HNM (just) for writing, which is slow. He had a VR and NVR test in yr5 which gave 123 and 140 standardised scores.

He has a recent EP WISC -V report which put his IQ at 125 or 95th percentile, and the psychologist considers him to have high academic potential. His spatial reasoning was on 99th percentile which ties in with his ability to construct age 14+ Lego sets in a couple of hours. He is keen on rocket design and very much wants to go to a particular grammar school with excellent design and technology.

He is now getting some support in school for yr6 and showing better focus but I'm worried the historical academic evidence prior to his diagnosis will hamper an appeal.
Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you!
Guest55

Re: Extenuating circumstances?

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome!
When did you get the Transfer Test results? I'm asking this because a review has to be submitted within a certain number of days.

Have you read all of Etienne's excellent thread about the difference between a review and an appeal?

I'll post more tomorrow when you reply :)
Weakandwobbly

Post by Weakandwobbly »

Guest55 wrote:Welcome!
When did you get the Transfer Test results? I'm asking this because a review has to be submitted within a certain number of days.

Have you read all of Etienne's excellent thread about the difference between a review and an appeal?

I'll post more tomorrow when you reply :)
I got the result today. Yes I have read all the appeals information, but I feel that SR would be pointless, and was thinking of going straight to Appeal.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, from what you've posted so far, I was going to suggest considering an appeal as a wider range of evidence can be considered.

I would stil talk to the Head and find out their thoughts.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I agree. The appeal route gives more time to see if the support he now has can sustain improvement through year six and give you better, longer-standing academic evidence for the appeal. You've read the guidance so you'll be aware that you will be faced with two hurdles - the first is the appeal itself where you will argue that academic suitability is evident and the second will be an oversubscription appeal because the school(s) you're aiming for will have been filled in the allocation process. That sounds daunting but from what you've posted I think it's more advantageous for you to pursue that route rather than a review now which will probably fail on academic evidence and distance from 121.

One thing at a time though! As Guest55 says, the first thing is to talk to the Head. If you do decide to appeal, the regulars on here will help you structure that and the arguments for trying to persuade the school to take an extra child.
Weakandwobbly

Post by Weakandwobbly »

Guest55 wrote:Yes, from what you've posted so far, I was going to suggest considering an appeal as a wider range of evidence can be considered.

I would stil talk to the Head and find out their thoughts.
That's great, thank you!
Weakandwobbly

Post by Weakandwobbly »

anotherdad wrote:I agree. The appeal route gives more time to see if the support he now has can sustain improvement through year six and give you better, longer-standing academic evidence for the appeal. You've read the guidance so you'll be aware that you will be faced with two hurdles - the first is the appeal itself where you will argue that academic suitability is evident and the second will be an oversubscription appeal because the school(s) you're aiming for will have been filled in the allocation process. That sounds daunting but from what you've posted I think it's more advantageous for you to pursue that route rather than a review now which will probably fail on academic evidence and distance from 121.

One thing at a time though! As Guest55 says, the first thing is to talk to the Head. If you do decide to appeal, the regulars on here will help you structure that and the arguments for trying to persuade the school to take an extra child.
I appreciate your points, very helpful. I will keep you posted...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Unless the head says he can't support you, I would advise you to keep all your options open and get him to fill in the review form. (You don't have to submit it.)
e. Even if you intend to skip the review and go straight to appeal, we strongly advise you to keep your options open for a couple of weeks, and to ask your primary school head to complete a “Selection Review Summary Sheet” for your child now, as this could provide very useful evidence if you do go straight to an appeal. (Headteachers are under no obligation to provide this same information later in the academic year.)

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Weakandwobbly

Post by Weakandwobbly »

anotherdad wrote:I agree. The appeal route gives more time to see if the support he now has can sustain improvement through year six and give you better, longer-standing academic evidence for the appeal. You've read the guidance so you'll be aware that you will be faced with two hurdles - the first is the appeal itself where you will argue that academic suitability is evident and the second will be an oversubscription appeal because the school(s) you're aiming for will have been filled in the allocation process. That sounds daunting but from what you've posted I think it's more advantageous for you to pursue that route rather than a review now which will probably fail on academic evidence and distance from 121.

Update: The headteacher didn't feel he could support an appeal and rightfully reminded me of the potential pressure of a GS environment, homework, 1hr bus travel each way, etc on a child who does have ASD and some anxiety anyway. So I have decided to put my sons happiness to the top of the agenda and send him to the local school with his friends. Maybe GS in 6th form, who knows? Best of luck to all those going forward to appeal. Thank you all again for taking the time to read my posts and offer such sensible advise.
Weakandwobbly

Post by Weakandwobbly »

Oops I meant Advice! Clearly the DIY tutoring hasn't helped my own spelling!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now