Group or one on one tutoring?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Meribel

Group or one on one tutoring?

Post by Meribel »

Has anyone used group tutoring as opposed to one on one tutoring? I ant find a private tutor so was considering this.
Cuddlermum

Re: Group or one on one tutoring?

Post by Cuddlermum »

I used it for my DS2, he sat CSSE exam 3 years ago. It worked very well for him, there were about 7 in his class. He thrived off the competition from the students but I guess it would depend on the child. His tutor was very experienced and would tell parents honestly what their children's chances were. His tutor only taught one entry year at a time, so all those in the class were learning the same thing, but I have heard of others that mixed the classes which I wouldn't have liked. I think the interaction with the other children made the 2 hour sessions more fun.
ayparents

Post by ayparents »

IMHO, I think its a personal choice and most importantly depends on the DC as well.

Please note that individual tuitions are really really expensive (even if you find a good one).
jdyer612

Post by jdyer612 »

My son did group tutoring and really enjoyed it. It's definitely less intense than one to one so helps take some of the pressure off.
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

My daughter went to a tutoring group once a week until Feb of Year 5 then twice a week (one English and the other maths) from March to June. The classes were around 4-5 in a group and she liked that plus it encouraged a bit of competitiveness. I know at least three of the English group passed and two of the maths (including my daughter) so it worked for them. She also went to 11 plus club at school - around 30 kids attended in year 5 and around 20 came back after the summer holidays - 11 passed (8 boys and 3 girls).

We couldn't have afforded a private 1:1 tutor.
Appuskidu

Post by Appuskidu »

I think it depends on the other children in the group-which you probably can’t predict!

My friend’s daughter had small group tutoring and stopped it because one of the other girls got so competitive, she was actually being quite unkind to the others. A bit of healthy competition can be a great thing though. My oldest didn’t have external tuition-I did it myself at home just with him but my youngest is much less compliant (!) so had a tutor 1:1 in year 5 who worked absolute wonders with her. My middle did a group thing at school and that was fine for her.

I guess it’s horses for courses and thinking carefully about what’s financially viable and what works best for your child.
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

I think it depends on the other children in the group-which you probably can’t predict!
Yes, totally agree with this. And to contradict my earlier comment, my DS1 used group tutoring arranged through school, but at parents' expense, and learnt hardly anything due to the disruptive behaviour of some of the other students in the group of eight.

It seems that most of the students were only there because their parents saw an opportunity to "give it a go" and weren't that serious about it. Most had dropped out by the Easter of the 11+ year. The tutor brought in by the school just couldn't control them, hence my decision to use an external tutor for DS2 three years later.

Try to go with a recommended tutor wherever possible.
Bananaperson

Post by Bananaperson »

Group tuition: good for competition

1-2-1: more focus on the child

I would say choose on the basis on what your child’s needs are. Is she doinh tuition to learn topics- 1-2-1 best, or techniques- group best?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now