Travel from Cheltenham to Marling & STRS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PersonMcPherson

Travel from Cheltenham to Marling & STRS

Post by PersonMcPherson »

Agonising over the CAF, mainly for travel related reasons! Trying to decide between Tommy’s and Marling. Are there any minibuses to STRS from Cheltenham? Our nearest bus leaves Eldon road at 7.30 am and that seems v early for a relatively short journey. Also, does anyone know if there are any minibuses going from Cheltenham to Marling? Doubtful about the prospect of getting my boys onto a bus from the Promenade at 7.10 am for Marling. We live in North of Cheltenham and it would involve a very early start. I don’t drive & that doesn’t help!
Last edited by PersonMcPherson on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Re: Travel from Cheltenham to Marling & STRS

Post by Amber »

STRS is full of boys from Cheltenham. Most use the excellent Bennetts coaches which serve almost all of Cheltenham, or the public bus number 94. My sons always used Bennetts and most of the departures are between 730-750 depending on where you get on. Marling is obviously a lot further and personally I would not even consider that journey, especially if you are likely to get a place at STR.
PersonMcPherson

Thanks Amber! Yes, I think that we would have to move to Stroud for Marling. I’ve actually considered that because we liked Marling so much. But not sure how well my boys would handle moving town as well as moving to secondary school..
Amber

Post by Amber »

PersonMcPherson wrote:Thanks Amber! Yes, I think that we would have to move to Stroud for Marling. I’ve actually considered that because we liked Marling so much. But not sure how well my boys would handle moving town as well as moving to secondary school..
Ah well, I am the wrong person to advise on that one then. I am a great fan of STR and would not have considered choosing Marling over it. There are plenty of Marling fans on here though so maybe someone will be along to advise on that one soon. :)
PersonMcPherson

Ah!! Problem also is that DS1 is ranked 194 for Tommy’s but DS2 is 292 and so perilously borderline..
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Personally I would taking your location into account, choose Tommies over Marling - given the choice. I can advise on Marling I’d you wish as I have 2 in the school, another about to join. :-)
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

Hi,
My son gets the 94u to STRS and it leaves the Prom around 7.45. Would that be more manageable?
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think the issue is twins with different ranks really, is it not? I am no expert on rankings but your second twin might just squeeze into Tommies with that? Others will have a better idea perhaps - Lysander or SteppeFox perhaps. If anyone knows them perhaps give them a nudge on this one?
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

I’d think the issue is the twins.

Personally I’d want them in the same school so if that were in question and I loved Marling and was able to move -I would.
Moving house and secondary would be a non issue imo.

As for the travel I think it’s no problem to STRS.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

I did wonder what you were planning to do when you posted your ranks on the other thread. I do feel for twins / parents of twins! It must be so stressful! Twin 2 v risky for STRS but might be doable after reconsideration etc but you would still run the risk of one being in STR and one in marling. If you are happy to risk that happening, then go for it, but if u want more certainty then you could go for Marling or Crypt for both. I wonder if they have a facility to link twin applications? It would certainly be useful for your twins.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now