Duration from Gants Hill to ColCHS for girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Starlearner17

Duration from Gants Hill to ColCHS for girls?

Post by Starlearner17 »

Hi , CAn anyone tell the duration from Gants Hill to Colchester girls school through private coach? Thanx
Proudmumregardless

Re: Duration from Gants Hill to ColCHS for girls?

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Google maps tells me that at this time (Sunday night) from my home address (near school) to Gants hill is an hour to drive. So a school bus with frequent stops in rush hour... Don't do it. The A12 is horrific and the past few weeks has seen one or more accidents on it daily.

If you're seriously considering it can I suggest you drive it a few times in the next few months (include the standing at the bus stops in the snow when you practice) and see how you feel about sending your 11 year old daughter on that trip.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

OP, did your DD not also get a pass score for WCHS? Presumably you would be naming this as a higher preference than a school well over forty miles away? How are you intending to get to ColCHS for parents evenings, school plays etc? What happens if your DD finds a talent for hockey or netball and gets picked to represent the school, or becomes best friends with a girl living in Colchester? (or Ipswich? or Mersea Island?). How would you facilitate this? There is more to a secondary school education than just turning up for your five hours of lessons a day and going straight home again when the bell goes at half past three...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

How do you feel about the Ypres trip... That's a lovely early (4ish) morning start and a midnight pickup
mad?

Post by mad? »

Starlearner17 wrote:Hi , CAn anyone tell the duration from Gants Hill to Colchester girls school through private coach? Thanx
Hi Starlearner17, I can see that you are looking into potential travel issues/options for next year. I have been through this process myself and indeed ended up completely changing our preferences once the reality of the next 5/7 years travel set in. Personally I think this is something you need to research for yourself, as anyone on this forum (or indeed elsewhere) will be likely to have bias (and indeed may be keen to convince themselves, or perhaps you, as a potential client, that it is a feasible journey.) Do the journey, 5 days in a row, both ways, with stops, imagine it in the snow/rain/roadworks and then consider if any school is worth a DC doing that. I appreciate that may take time/be awkward to do but if it is then why would you consider your DD doing it for 5/7 years and what are you going to do when your DD is ill or if she does well at school and is /in a play/team/makes prefect/invited to prizegiving/makes friends? Good luck.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now