Recommended books for word problems

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
AML

Recommended books for word problems

Post by AML »

Hi, can anyone suggest a good book for maths word problems for a year 4 child? I find Bond quite repetitive. Many thanks.
anotherdad

Re: Recommended books for word problems

Post by anotherdad »

Are you confident enough to devise some yourself following examples?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Get your child to make up some. If you look for my posts it explains how this works.

Use NRICH problems: https://nrich.maths.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maths Association Primary Maths challenge papers: http://www.primarymathschallenge.org.uk/downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[Use the November papers]
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

CGP ten minute tests is a good one, but maybe a little tricky for yr 4
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Second making up your own if you can; this was really effective with my DD. We started off using people we knew (i.e Daddy's train due to arrive 17:45 but arrived 19 minutes late. What time did it arrive?) as this seemed to help her 'visualise' the problem in a real-life scenario. You can also weave in interests and themes which makes it a bit more fun. Towards the middle of year 5 we moved to more traditional questions that mimicked the exam format but by this time she could confidently apply the techniques she'd learnt with the fun questions.

We found little and often the most effective for word problems - no more than 10 minutes at a time and no more than twice a day. On a Friday we'd switch things up and she had to write word problems for me and her dad - then 'teach' us the way to resolve them (she loved that as she's a bossy little thing!)

11+ is over for us now and I'm quite missing the prep myself!
AML

Post by AML »

Thanks everyone, CGP working well and have devised a few of my own.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No need to pay for good resources :)
MSD

Post by MSD »

AML wrote:Hi, can anyone suggest a good book for maths word problems for a year 4 child? I find Bond quite repetitive. Many thanks.
We found Schofield and Sims mental arithmetic set pretty useful, especially section C word problems.

https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/mental-arithmetic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How recently were these published?
MSD

Post by MSD »

Never looked into when they were published but for the purpose of this thread that's quite irrelevant. A good Maths word problem book, reinforcing the fundamental mathematical concepts required at that young age, will always remain useful irrespective of the date it was published.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now