Herschel Grammar 4 Miles CAF

Post by adnanabid »

Hi If anyone can share or guide?

I live in Lower Earley, My CAF looks like below:

Reading School
Herschel Grammar
Upton Court
Maiden Earley

The issue i have is new 4 miles statement from Herschel, am i wasting CAF slot by putting Herschel on 2nd?
I have no idea what impact it will create on Upton Court?

That means i have Reading School or Maiden Earley left as realistic options in my CAF

Any help?
Reading Mum

Re: Herschel Grammar 4 Miles CAF

Post by Reading Mum »

The Herschel rule is new so no one really knows how that will work out.
Are you within 1 mile of Maiden Erlegh - if not you ought to have at least one school on your list that you would be happy with and that you will get a place at
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

RM is correct. We have no idea what the impact of the Herschel 4 mile area will be on Herschel or Upton Court.

In previous years ME has allocated up to 1 mile so if you aren’t inside that (or even borderline) you might want have another think.
adnanabid

Post by adnanabid »

Thanks Tinkers & Reading Mum

My friends kids are going to Upton from Lower Earley, any idea how much these transport companies cost?

My House is within Maiden Earley Catchment, my only confusion is should i go with Upton as third option and keep another cost of transport or should i put Maiden Earley as Third.

I am OK with Reading School as first , Herschel 2nd, Third & Fourth is confusion.

Adnan
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

my house was in the Maiden Erlegh catchment - I would not have got a place (due to oversubscription) as I was more than 1 mile from the school

There is no point in putting a selective below a school where you will definitely get a place
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Look at Bulmershe too as another local option. I have friends choosing it over ME now. If you over a mile from Maiden Erlegh (not Maiden Earley btw) you are unlikely to get a place.

No one knows how the Herschel/Upton Court allocations are going to pan out this year.
adnanabid

Post by adnanabid »

Hi All

I am within ME 0.8 Miles ( Hopefully ), With 117.34 Reading School i should get the place.
Any idea what School is saying?

Anyone spoken to Herschel? What is their stance?

I do have their document but what their staff is saying?

This question is not for me, my other three friends are confused and their Son are at the edge of Reading Boys and ME is not in their catchment.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

adnanabid wrote:Hi All

I am within ME 0.8 Miles ( Hopefully ), With 117.34 Reading School i should get the place.
Any idea what School is saying?

Anyone spoken to Herschel? What is their stance?

I do have their document but what their staff is saying?

This question is not for me, my other three friends are confused and their Son are at the edge of Reading Boys and ME is not in their catchment.
I'm really not sure what you're asking for exactly. What schools are "saying" about their "stance" is all available in their admissions policies. Why would their staff be saying anything different and if they were, do you really think they'd be telling parents on this forum?

Your three friends should be looking into the admissions policies themselves. It's very late for them to be confused now, especially if they entered the selection process for these schools. Why didn't they establish their preferences and planned selections before?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Herschel won’t have a clue how it is going to pan out any more than the rest of us. They can’t really predict how parents are going to react to the new admissions criteria, some will carry on regardless and hope for the best, others will use their CAF slots for school they think they are more likely to get.

Upton Court are also not going to know just how it’s going to pan out for them either. Parents who would have picked Herschel may not bother and just plump for UC, others might still try for Herschel and have UC below it on the CAF, but not get Herschel.

The allocations for both will be affected, I think that’s a certainly, but how is an unknown.

By ‘at the edge for Reading boys’ do you mean borderline score? What local schools are they in catchment for?