The #raisetherate campaign.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JaneEyre

The #raisetherate campaign.

Post by JaneEyre »

Asking the chancellor to raise the national funding rate for sixth form students
Sixth form funding was subject to deep cuts after 2010 and the national funding rate for 16 and 17 year olds has remained frozen at £4,000 per student, per year since 2013/14. The rate for 18 year olds is set even lower at £3,300 per student.

To ensure that schools and colleges can continue to deliver a high quality education, the government should raise the funding rate for 16, 17 and 18 year olds by at least £760 per student in the 2019 spending review and raise it in line with inflation each year. Recent research from London Economics 'Understanding the funding shortfall in sixth form education' found that £760 was the minimum level of additional funding required to deliver a high quality education.

Therefore I invite you to sign the petition so that the sixth form colleges principals' voice is heard! :D In fact not only their voice but also ours and all headteachers'!
Guest55

Re: The #raisetherate campaign.

Post by Guest55 »

JaneEyre wrote:Asking the chancellor to raise the national funding rate for sixth form studentsSixth form funding was subject to deep cuts
This is not quite true. The amount in school was reduced to what was being paid to Sixth Form colleges - a little different. Yes the latter could have been raised but the issues was that school were being given more to run the same courses.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Given the parlous state of many of our public 'services', I won't be signing this petition - money is desperately needed everywhere and is being misspent on adventures in Brexitland as well as many other vanity projects like HS2. While I agree that sixth forms should be well funded, to me that is missing the point - schools generally should be better funded, as should hospitals, social care for the elderly and disabled, public transport, libraries...etc.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Guest55 wrote: This is not quite true. The amount in school was reduced to what was being paid to Sixth Form colleges - a little different. Yes the latter could have been raised but the issues was that school were being given more to run the same courses.
Sorry if this is not quite true. :( I got this information from a sixth form college and the text of the petition. I couldn't have guessed that 'this is not quite true''!
MSD

Post by MSD »

JaneEyre wrote:
Guest55 wrote: This is not quite true. The amount in school was reduced to what was being paid to Sixth Form colleges - a little different. Yes the latter could have been raised but the issues was that school were being given more to run the same courses.
Sorry if this is not quite true. :( I got this information from a sixth form college and the text of the petition. I couldn't have guessed that 'this is not quite true''!
No, you are spot on there Jane! As per my understanding, since 2010, the funding has been cut by as much as 1/5th for both schools and Sixth form colleges. I will be more than happy to support and sign this petition.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/educ ... 40226.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It isn't correct - before 2010 schools got MORE than colleges for running A levels - the changes brought schools down to what colleges were getting.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Here's some of the background when funding was unequal: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21579926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

Posts removed. Please refrain from personal attacks.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

For the parents who are interested by this campaign, here is some information:

The campaign is for 16-19 year old funding, schools and sixth form colleges, and to raise the rate for 16-19 year olds by £760 per student. It is not a campaign aimed at raising the rate in schools for those below the age of 16.

The following may help:

Raise the Rate website: http://www.raisetherate.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Letter to the Chancellor: https://raisetherate.s3.amazonaws.com/u ... 1540454829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote:It isn't correct - before 2010 schools got MORE than colleges for running A levels - the changes brought schools down to what colleges were getting.
Yes, there was a small discrepancy between what schools and colleges were getting as funding per student back in 2010, with schools getting a little more. But, it's incorrect that funding of schools till date has only been reduced by a set amount to bring it in line with colleges. Since 2010 the funding of both colleges and schools has been significantly reduced. I have quoted the actual numbers and timelines below.

"Total expenditure on 16-19 education fell from £6.39 billion in 2010-11 to £5.79 billion in 2016-17, a reduction of 9.3% in cash terms and 17.5% in real terms.

The expenditure on school sixth forms (both maintained schools and academies) fell by 11.6% in cash terms over the period, or 19.6% in real terms. Expenditure on 16-19 FE (which includes sixth form colleges and general FE colleges) fell by 8.0% in cash terms and 16.3%.

Estimates produced by the Institute for Fiscal Studies show that, in 2016-17 prices:

• Spending per full time 16-19 student in further education (e.g. sixth form colleges and general FE colleges) fell from a high of £6,046 in 2010-11 to £5,639 in 2015-16. Expenditure per student in 1989-90 was estimated to be £5,190 in 2016-17 prices.

• Spending per student in school sixth forms declined from £6,212 in 2010-11 to £5,121 in 2015-16. Estimated per student expenditure in 2002-03 (the earliest year for which it was possible to produce estimates) was £5,508 in 2016-17 prices."
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now