Chester (ish) relocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
essess

Chester (ish) relocation

Post by essess »

Have posted before and got some good advice so hoping someone may be able to help again

Spoke to the Local Education bods today to try to get daughters school sorted out as, dependant on whether she does the biz and passes one of the local grammar entrance exams (she's in a grammar down here in Kent, got in without appeal but different exam criteria here, NV, VR and Maths as opposed to Wirral's 2 x VR ), we need to know where we will be looking to move. If she gets in we'll live nearby ie. Wirral but if she doesn't it means we can go with our own preference to live in Wales. Education authority have said she can't take the entrance exam until we have an address in the area, so I tried explaining that we need to know if she's got a place at the grammar before we decide where to live so we spent the next 30 minutes going round in circles :?

Anyone got any ideas how we can get her tested - before we commit to an area to buy in? ...................please :)
guest42

Post by guest42 »

My advice would be to talk directly to the Schools. From what I remember Wirral Grammar was your preference but unless you are only considering this one I would contact all three. You may find one more helpful than the others. They will certainly know the procedures. You do not need to be in area to sit the Wirral 11+.

Note Upton Hall has its own exam-although it is very similar to the 11+ in format. It also gives you an extra bite of the cherry ie you can pass Upton Hall and fail the 11+ and vv.

PS If you live in Wales it is COMPULSORY for your children to learn Welsh in school!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi essess

As your daughter is already in a grammar school in Kent, you are looking at a school transfer not a new sitting of the 11+ test, therefore an out-of-area 11+ test may not apply in your daughter's case.

The question to ask Wirral, West Kirby or Upton Hall is whether your daughter would be required to sit an entrance test for a school transfer.

If, as you say, she passed the Kent test without appeal a letter from her current headteacher to the headteacher of any of the Wirral grammar schools may suffice.

Regards

Mike
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most LAdo insist on a retest even in the child is already in a GS - this is so in Buckinghamshire.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi G55

As we know Bucks is a special case, being the only wholly selective LEA in the UK. It is most likely that other LEAs have a policy for transfer of pupils from other LEAs that is different from Bucks.

My advice is always to ask the most relevant question for the circumstances.

Some administration personnel may only answer the direct question asked to them, rather than to explore the different scenarios that may be related to the original question.

Such as the difference between asking a question related to out of area 11+ tests and a question related to transfer between LEAs.

It is better not to assume that one LEA follows the same or even similar administration processes than another.

Regards

Mike
essess

Post by essess »

hi - yes have already checked re entrance criteria and they have all said that our daughter would have to take either the 2 VR papers or in the case of Wirral a maths, English and science paper. Poor mite not very happy as the 11+ wasn't that long ago! I too thought it would be a simple case of a letter from her existing school :cry:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi essess

If you choose the VR option based on current Wirral LEA 11+ criteria, it will be two 11+ verbal reasoning papers covering 21 question types in a multiple-choice format, both papers will count towards the overall pass mark.

If you choose the Maths, English, Science option it will most likely be based on SATs.

Have you checked Upton Hall's entrance criteria for transfer as they can operate a different administrative process than Wirral and West Kirby?

Have you considered renting a property on the Wirral, so you have a Wirral address, then let your daughter take the tests "in area". Assuming she achieves a pass mark you can move out of area, to North Wales, without her having to move school?

Regards

Mike
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Mike said:-
"Have you considered renting a property on the Wirral, so you have a Wirral address, then let your daughter take the tests "in area". Assuming she achieves a pass mark you can move out of area, to North Wales, without her having to move school?"

I thought the idea was that if she passes and this is to be her school then they wil move into the area. Only if she fails will they move to Wales. Otherwise it wouldn't seem fair on kids in the area would it?
tryingtostaycalm

Post by tryingtostaycalm »

Hi Essess

Take a tip form one who knows!

I was born and went to school on Wirral, moving to North Wales when I married. My eldest son was educated at a High School there but we moved back to Wirral and he attended Wirral Grammar for his A levels finishing 2 years ago. The main reason we moved back was because we so wanted my youngest son (second marriage)to have the chance of attending Grammar school and we were so disappointed by the schooling at High school level in North Wales (and my husband is Welsh!). Be very careful which areas you look at and study the school's results. My middle son is 15 and still in a Welsh secondary school as he is living during the week with my ex. He was a very bright boy, achieving all level 5's in his year 6 SATS but I have gradually watched him lose interest in lessons and school and whilst he will achieve reasonable grades next year, I know in a half decent school, he would do so much better. My eldest son could not believe the standard of education and pastoral care offered at Wirral compared to his old school and said himself he wished he had had the opportunity to attend Wirral from year 7 as he could see himself what he could have achieved. (He did do well though in sixth form ).

And yes, Welsh is compulsory up to GCSE!
essess

Post by essess »

NotionPotion wrote: I thought the idea was that if she passes and this is to be her school then they wil move into the area. Only if she fails will they move to Wales. Otherwise it wouldn't seem fair on kids in the area would it?
Hi, yes that's right - if she passes then we would want to live locally so that she is able to get to (and from) school easily, (our son will attend a standard mixed ability secondary school in which ever area, again once we know where we are looking I will research the secondary schools), however if our daughter isn't successful then we would prefer to live south of Chester.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now