Good luck everyone for selection review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Deb70

Good luck everyone for selection review

Post by Deb70 »

Hi, we have submitted our selection review documents and I would like to wish everyone good luck and best wishes x
lea2124

Re: Good luck everyone for selection review

Post by lea2124 »

Thanks. Good luck for you too. It's such a long time to wait isn't it? Also wish they could just tell us after the actual hearing instead of having to wait. Now I'm just going to worry I wrote enough and if DS's SATs in year 2 were too low!!!!!

oh well, what's done is done.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Yes. Results posted on son's birthday so hope we get some good news. What a shame there aren't decent schools in every town for every child, then we wouldn't have to put our children and ourselves through this horrendous process!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Take a look at the other forum sections and you'll see lots of people putting their children through it despite there being plenty of good comprehensive schools nearby. In the last few months alone I've seen people saying "there are no good schools in Luton" and "there are no good schools in Basingstoke" and when I've responded with a list of something like six schools in each town that are good or outstanding, they get a bit sheepish and start telling all sorts of anecdotes such as "well I've heard they have problems there" and so on. People make all sorts of decisions and rationalise them strangely to convince themselves.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

I put my first child into one such school - our catchment school. Currently A*-C 43%. He was bullied for being bright and let his grades slip to avoid standing out. He hates it. Transferred him to a bucks grammar, pass rate A*-C currently 99%. He became a different boy and loved school, now successful graduate and city analyst. Second son at GS, loves school. I can understand why people say there are no decent schools here. There aren't!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, I disagree, I know many children achieve highly without going to GS - there is not even that choice in many parts of the country. I taught at a comp for 18 years and in that time many went to good uni and have very high flying careers.
You cannot just look at headline data - you need to see how well the high ability students are doing.

There are students at GS who get fewer than 5 GCSEs and end up jobless ...
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

I know there are some excellent comprehensive schools. Sadly, people are usually limited to their catchment school though. I'm just speaking for myself, but I do know lots of other parents in my area who feel exactly the same way.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now