Advice on BBC Bitesize and other online learning

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
OrganicGreen

Advice on BBC Bitesize and other online learning

Post by OrganicGreen »

Can BBC Bitesize be used as the main source or revision for GCSE? Is it good enough to use if you are aiming for grade 7, 8 or 9? Also, do you know of any good online, YouTube channels or apps that are good for gcse revision or learning?

All information and views must welcome. Any web links.
REad, Read and read some more. Learning is nothing but fun
kenyancowgirl

Re: Advice on BBC Bitesize and other online learning

Post by kenyancowgirl »

From memory, a lot of the BBC Bitesize is not supported anymore, so is not updated (especially for the new curriculum). It is certainly a useful starting point but I am not sure it alone would give grade 7s/8s/9s.

Most schools have internal websites where staff post a whole host of useful revision materials/questions/support. I would start there.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've just had another look at Bitesize and it does seem updated but it may not be detailed enough for top grades.

Download the specification from the exam board websites and use this as a guide. As KCG say school will point students towards good resources and often have subscriptions to resources such as MyMaths.

Teachers will also be offering additional revision sessions etc.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would recommend Tassomai for Science and Maths. It is designed separately for each board and tracks the progress of the students by daily quizzes and works its way through the specification in time for the exam.

It is adaptive and will continue to ask questions on weak areas.

The parents get weekly reports on progress. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Isn't that a pay-for resource DG? There is similar stuff for free ...
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

[https://senecalearning.com]
Quite like this and GCSEpod (which many schools buy in) for sciences.
Last edited by MrsChubbs on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

DD used Mr Bruff for English language AQA board, he has a you tube channel and covers some literature texts too I think. For mocks she used some CGP books but after that it was mainly past papers/specimen papers.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

I am pants at inserting links. Sorry. :oops:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

My suggestion isn't linked to the curriculum but DC and I really enjoy Vsauce on YouTube. It is educational in a MythBusters' way. It covers a huge range of topics and drags you in to finding the answers to questions you never thought you wanted answered (like "Is anything real?" or "The Banach Tarski Paradox").

As I say, it is not related to the curriculum (and is American) but is great for the inquisitive mind and does explain some 'huge' concepts (well, huge to me but I never was a scientist or a mathematician).

I should add that DC never enjoyed BiteSize as there was never enough information to actually understand the subject in question. I feel it does what it says on the tin... it is bitesize information not full information.
Last edited by BucksBornNBred on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catney

Post by Catney »

fairyelephant wrote:DD used Mr Bruff for English language AQA board, he has a you tube channel and covers some literature texts too I think.
DS used Mr Bruff for English as well.

He also recommends Primrose Kitten for science and maths as well as freesciencelessons (both are YouTube channels).

He didn't use BBC Bitesize at all - says it's not that closely linked to the various specifications.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now