King Edwards Aston or Queen Marys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jazz-UK

King Edwards Aston or Queen Marys

Post by Jazz-UK »

Hopefully my last question before I complete my form (sorry, I know its last minute). Looking at logistics, I noticed earlier that we live approx equal distance between QMGS and KEA. I appreciate that both schools are academically strong and annoyed that I didn't make the time to attend open evenings at these. To be honest, mentally I hadn't considered QM seriously as it wasn't in Birmingham, however looking at the website it seems to offer better facilities than KEA and Handsworth.

What are your thoughts between KEA and QMGS as placing one above the other on the CAF form? Anyone in Birmingham here attend QMGS?

DS scored enough to get into both. Thanks in advance.
quasimodo

Re: King Edwards Aston or Queen Marys

Post by quasimodo »

Jazz-UK wrote:Hopefully my last question before I complete my form (sorry, I know its last minute). Looking at logistics, I noticed earlier that we live approx equal distance between QMGS and KEA. I appreciate that both schools are academically strong and annoyed that I didn't make the time to attend open evenings at these. To be honest, mentally I hadn't considered QM seriously as it wasn't in Birmingham, however looking at the website it seems to offer better facilities than KEA and Handsworth.

What are your thoughts between KEA and QMGS as placing one above the other on the CAF form? Anyone in Birmingham here attend QMGS?

DS scored enough to get into both. Thanks in advance.

https://www.mayfieldprep.co.uk/wp-conte ... s-2018.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These were the choices made by parents for their children around the Walsall area at the prep school my dds previously attended.These are parents who were willing to pay for their children's education area until 11.It seems those children who didn't pass the 11 plus chose either Hydesville Tower or Wolverhampton Grammar.

There is a green bus that comes to QMGS from the centre of Birmingham.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

We loved QMGS on the 2 visits we attended and so did our DS. Sadly transport there is a huge issue so it's gone lower down on the CAF. That said KEFW and CHB are above it and Aston doesn't feature in our choices so not much help to you this late in the day. Good luck with your decision.
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Thanks everyone, it's all helpful :D
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I can't compare QM with KEA, but I do have a son in year 8 QM if you want to PM me.

He went to a state primary, not prep. There are families there on all levels, not just the wealthy. Two of my son's best friends are pp.

My son is very happy there!
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Thanks Ricky, that's great. I managed to speak to an ex-colleague of mine who's son went there and everyone is so positive. Plus it's a positive commute for me and the Green Bus is only a few mins from us when I can't make it.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I'd say that both schools are excellent (my other son is in y8 HGS and very happy).

If distance is equal, along with academia (not sure about facilities?) then it's tine to go with your son's feel for the place.

Good luck! Either way, you're in a good position :D
wolverz

Post by wolverz »

Ricky74 wrote:I can't compare QM with KEA, but I do have a son in year 8 QM if you want to PM me.

He went to a state primary, not prep. There are families there on all levels, not just the wealthy. Two of my son's best friends are pp.

Hello Ricky, could you please confirm how many foreign languages are mandatory in year 8,9 at QM ?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

wolverz wrote:
Ricky74 wrote:I can't compare QM with KEA, but I do have a son in year 8 QM if you want to PM me.

Hello Ricky, could you please confirm how many foreign languages are mandatory in year 8,9 at QM ?
Its my understanding they begin either french or spanish in year 7 and mandarin.Whichever of the european languages which is begun in year 7 continues into years 8 or 9 with the mandarin.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
wolverz

Post by wolverz »

Thanks again quasimodo :-)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now