Nonsuch vs Tiffin Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KingstonMama

Nonsuch vs Tiffin Girls

Post by KingstonMama »

I wonder if anyone has girls at either school or had to decide between Nonsuch and Tiffin and what their impressions were.

Likewise what other current 2019 entry parents and daughter are thinking when choosing between the two. We need to make up our minds for the CAF (although I realise the decision may not be ours come results day).
MarLil

Re: Nonsuch vs Tiffin Girls

Post by MarLil »

We live 800m away from NS and our decision will be purely practical for our DD to be at NS as will be walking to school (her score is 276 IC, hence hopeful for 1/03/19 offer). Every morning and afternoon there are masses of young girls sourly looking and tired, waiting for the bus or hopping on the train, I do not want to see my DD spending an hour to Tiffins on the train. Plus, I rather have her take this hour for herself - swimming or dancing, rather spend it on travelling. But, it is different for everyone and everyone decides what is best for them.
judith1209

Post by judith1209 »

My DD got 354 IC for nonsuch and she's so determined to choose thst school for her 1st choice. I quite liked the look of Tiffin and found out that journey time wouldn't be much longer than to Nonsuch although she needs to change the bus. She is refusing to sit for 2nd exam for Tiffin now.. and I'm not sure what to do. I will respect her preference and put Nonsuch 1st for CAF but shall I have her sit for the 2nd stsge for Tiffin anyway or not worth it? :oops: :roll:
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

The journey isn’t bad either way to nonsuch or tiffin. Slightly easier to tiffin by public transport although I work part time so could drop her at nonsuch 3 days a weeek as it’s just on from my sons school whereas tiffin is not (but 1 direct bus and grandparents live round the corner). We may we’ll move in any case so School would help decide that.

Judith that’s a tricky one! My daughter prefers tiffin entirely based on the ‘vibe’ and space/layout (knowing her she’s analysed the feng shui or something she’s into her crystals!).

Internet searches and asking on fb groups have turned up fewer results for nonsuch but of those majority happy. It offers more choice of subjects. Visiting yday during the he day there was lots of laughter and lively cheerful girls. Lots of talk about pastoral care and transition.

Internet searches, albeit older ones some of them, seemed to turn up more grumbles for tiffin re pressure and cliques. It’s a shame not to visit during the day. I don’t know how much I should worry about pressure and cliques. My daughter is top of her class so shouldn’t struggle and currently seems to be being teased for always having her head in a book, and is suffering with a girl regularly jumping on her back at playtimes currently. Hopefully her bookish-ness will be understood better at least!
WParkMum

Post by WParkMum »

Hi KingstonMama

What did you go for in the end? We were in the same boat as you, but went for Nonsuch as that is much easier to get to than TGS from where we live. We didn't want her to have a long commute in winter to TGS and thought it would be better all round for our family if DD went to a closer school. Still got some doubts, but had to go with DD and DH on this one as they both wanted Nonsuch. Also, another deciding factor was that our gut feeling was that TGS would be more of an exam factory and more pressure would be on the DC, than Nonsuch. We don't want to put our DD through this, although we accept there will be pressure in all grammar schools.
sweetnhappy1

Post by sweetnhappy1 »

We've gone for TGS as our first choice and Nonsuch as our second purely because Tiffin is slightly easier to get to. My DD liked both and I don't think there will be much difference between the two. My DD prefers Tiffin but I'd be equally happy with either of we're lucky enough.
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

We’ve gone for tiffin first choice and nonsuch second. As we are outer area for tiffin I don’t think she’s got a good chance but she’s keen still after hearing my pros and cons and if she makes the hourly bus (she’s soooo slow in the morning I have my concerns!) it’s straight thru no changes so an easier journey. My main worry for tiffin was workload and pressure but an easy journey and our encouragement would hopefully help a lot and she’s doing v well at school so hopefully won’t find it too much of a jump if she gets an offer. I’d be v happy if she got nonsuch too.
WParkMum

Post by WParkMum »

Good to hear your reasons for picking either school. Feel more confident about our first choice now, Nonsuch, as DD will have a much easier journey (on the basis she gets in of course, but she got 300+ and we're IC).

She's also lost interest in preparing for second stage TGS! How's everyone else getting on with prep for the second stage exam?

Everyone happy/confident about getting their first/second choices?
Sunshine_girls

Post by Sunshine_girls »

Hello KingstonMama,

My DD in yr 8 now and I can say last year TGS offered very smooth transition for that big jump. Manageable homework and no exams. The girls were given ample time to settle into new routine. So don't worry about workload and pressure.Good luck for Stage 2.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

KingstonMama wrote:We’ve gone for tiffin first choice and nonsuch second. As we are outer area for tiffin I don’t think she’s got a good chance but she’s keen still after hearing my pros and cons and if she makes the hourly bus (she’s soooo slow in the morning I have my concerns!) it’s straight thru no changes so an easier journey. My main worry for tiffin was workload and pressure but an easy journey and our encouragement would hopefully help a lot and she’s doing v well at school so hopefully won’t find it too much of a jump if she gets an offer. I’d be v happy if she got nonsuch too.
My DD started Y7 this year and made new friends in first week.
There are a lot of opportunities for lunch time and after school clubs in music & sports. Its only been 1 half of the first term but DD seems to be very happy.

The school helps with the transition - no homework for the first 3 weeks, more opportunities to get the DDs know the school / classrooms etc. Also no end of year exams for Y7.

I have friend whose DD is in Y8 and other friends whose DDs are in Y10. They are all happy with the school.

I also have a friend who has 2 DDs at Nonsuch and they are happy with it too.

Both are very good schools although I would rate the NonSuch's infrastructure to be slightly better than TGS - they have an observatory after all. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now