Preparation tips for SPGS computerised test -Pre-test please

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LGWest

Preparation tips for SPGS computerised test -Pre-test please

Post by LGWest »

Hi all,
Can anyone advice on the preparation for the St.Pauls Girls school computerised online test please?
We have prepared for the grammar schools and wanted to know more about specific preparation for the online CEM based test -
1) for Maths - CEM multiple choice of different publications are good enough?
2) for English and VR - heavy in vocab? Or is it more to do with practising different formats - word links, synonyms, sntonyms, odd one out, any other??
3) for NVR - do we have spatial and nets as well?

I have searched the previous posts and found the 2017 discussions about the results of SPGS pre-test and other old posts (could go till 18 out of the 100+).
I have seen many posts by Daogroupie, so hoping I can get some useful info or can be tagged on relevant threads if i have missed them.
LGWest

Re: Preparation tips for SPGS computerised test -Pre-test pl

Post by LGWest »

Anyone who can help advice for the preparation please?
LGWest

Post by LGWest »

Parents who have gone through the process with their DGs past years, will be really helpful if you can share your experiences and advice the newbies please?
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon but there have not been many posts about SPGS in the past couple of years so probably fewer posters who have sat this test. Good luck anyway.
mad?
nylon14

Post by nylon14 »

I will ask my dd when she gets home. If I remember correctly it was reading comprehension, some maths, and vr. She did the online program on https:***, this was two years ago. Not sure if its the best, at the time it was the only online program that I could find. However, I think bofa (https:***) has one now as well. She just needs to get used taking the test online. If she's at a prep they probably already do that, but for my dd, it was all new.
nylon14

Post by nylon14 »

and there's this...
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... st#p599858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi nylon and LGwest, I have sent you a PM.
LGWest

Post by LGWest »

Thanks a ton nylon 14 for the info, will look into the websites suggested. DD is not at prep so all new for her as far as online tests are concerned.

Thanks mad?. Hope to get more replies and will be good to discuss with parents who have u one through the process and who will be doing it this year. Hoping to get more responses.

Thanks mitasol.
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

We failed the Wycombe Abbey assessment which has computer test. I was told that the same result will be used for any other school. Meaning that we dont sit the computer test again rather than using the same result for all other school to compare with the entrance cohort. Is it true?

We are extremely naive turned into an exam and didnt do any research and extremely arrogant with thoughts that if she is strong or very strong in academic there shouldnt be much preparation/research needed. It was a big blow up for her because on the assessment day there was science and general knowledge sessions and she loved it as someone who genuinely loves science and fascinated about science as a subject.
LGWest

Post by LGWest »

Sorry to hear that Littlebird but I thought the online test would be only in Maths, English and Nonverbal. Am a bit shocked to hear they have science and General knowledge as well for 11+ entry. Was it mentioned in the school website for the academic preparation or is science and G.K also included in pre-test?

What all can they have in the test? As the schools websites usually say the children will be tested in English, maths and NVR but havent come across science and G.K.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now