Reading School to change admission policies for - Yr 7, YR12

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kol

Reading School to change admission policies for - Yr 7, YR12

Post by kol »

https://www.reading-school.co.uk/news/? ... KciXOs2Mvo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by kol on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reading Mum

Re: Reading School to change admission policies for 2020

Post by Reading Mum »

Interesting. A very heavy emphasis on what constitutes address fraud. Also, allowing cared for and PP boys in with a score up to 5 points below the cut off.
kol

Re: Reading School to change admission policies for - Yr 7,

Post by kol »

True the number of people with address fraud .
But also they increasing the number of points you require to get into Sixth form with new grading system 9-1
Tinkers

Re: Reading School to change admission policies for 2020

Post by Tinkers »

Reading Mum wrote:Interesting. A very heavy emphasis on what constitutes address fraud. Also, allowing cared for and PP boys in with a score up to 5 points below the cut off.
Yes, they make it very clear about address fraud. Lots of yellow highlighting there.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Good for them - and very clear on the possible penalties of such address fraud - a shame that they have had to spell it out though (presumably due to the actions of the few) - and also great that they are attempting to embrace the widening participation agenda.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Good for them - and very clear on the possible penalties of such address fraud - a shame that they have had to spell it out though (presumably due to the actions of the few) - and also great that they are attempting to embrace the widening participation agenda.
I got the impression that they have had previous cases of address fraud but were constrained from taking the appropriate action.These regulations now give them the authority and power to act.There is nothing in them the genuine applicant should fear.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I suspect Kendrick will follow suit as the two schools usually take similar approaches.
mpp1900

Post by mpp1900 »

Good approach to tackle fallacious, there were many this year and previous years.
Krazypeople

Post by Krazypeople »

To tackle address fraud is a good approach. This will affect those who try to cheat the system.

But what I don’t fully understand why new admission is allowed up to 5 marks lower than pass mark for look after and pupils premium? This seems a lot as 1 standardised score can be anywhere ~ 10-30 places.

Let says if pass mark is 108 , boys that are eligible for free school meals during the past 6 years and get standardised score of 103+ will definitely get the place for year 2020 intake. Do I understand it correctly?

From statistical data of last 3-4 years for day pupils, boys who ain’t eligible for free school meals (not look after/ PP) must have 2-3 score above pass mark to get the place i.e. year 2018 intake pass mark 108 minimum score got the place ~110.45 (from memory). So I guess in year 2020, the minimum score to get the place at Reading School will be even higher says 3-4 scores above pass mark for these boys. They need to get at least 112-113 whereas PP boys only need to get 103. All these numbers are guessing of course.

What is the reason for lowering 5 pass mark score as there isn’t any explanation? Social mobility first and a place for academic excellence is secondary?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

They are trying to encourage more PP DSs to actually take the test in the first place.

I don’t know the figures for Reading school, but kendrick had very few PP DDs take their test this year. Lowering the passmark may encourage more to at least have a go.

They are less likely to have have extensive tutoring as parents would not have been able to afford it, so in general will score less even though they are likely to be just as academically able. They have obviously look at previous years when deciding whether to do this and by how much they feel they need to lower the pass mark.

It is worth noting that it isn’t just for PP, it’s also for LAC and SEN.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now