Review in trafford please help!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Betan0711

Review in trafford please help!

Post by Betan0711 »

Hi I am thinking of submitting a local review and and have received my daughters standardized assessments; puma score which was 136, pira was 126, spag 124. Do you think these are good scores? I am wondering if it is worth it? Thanks
walidal

Re: Review in trafford please help!

Post by walidal »

What school do you want to appeal for? Are you in catchment area? How far were the CEM score from 334? Are there any other exceptional reasons you want to put forward in your appeal? How is your child at school? The school you want to appeal for, what ranking did you put when you submitted CAF?

There are many considerations to bear in mind before appealing, as there will be many parents with similar position who want to appeal for one reason or another.
Betan0711

Post by Betan0711 »

Hi thanks for your reply. My daughter was 9 points out for stretford and 20 off for Urmston. Both schools have offered us a local review to be submitted next week in which we can put forward academic evidence as to why she should be qualified.
I spoke to the head who was shocked by her results, stating that she was a "well above average child, undoubtedly grammar school candidate".
She was greater depth in maths, writing, reading, science, history, geography, re, pe and art.
The head has written a letter of recommendation.
We just don't know what happened on the day, she had sat 2 mocks and passed easily, she came out of the exam really happy. We are totally shocked. Others in her class have passed that weren't considered as able.
My question really is are her standardized scores good enough to suggest she just had a bad day?
Thanks
walidal

Post by walidal »

Everything is worth a try especially if the primary head is behind you. The closest in proximity you are from the school the higher you are on the waiting list ranking. In most cases, the local grammar schools are oversubscribed. You need to look at their oversubscription categories to place yourself in which category fits you best. Wish you the best.

To contextualize it, the application outcomes for those who passed were as follows; Stretford grammar was some category 5 up to 4.93 miles and Urmston some category E up to 4.06 miles
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Some thoughts on nationally standardised test scores here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Success rates at review vary enormously from one authority to another.
In one LA it is over 30%. In another it is around 0%!

Reviews, of course, are not the same as appeals.
Etienne
walidal

Post by walidal »

Some statistics for consideration

A total of 2514 candidates took part in the Sale Grammar School Entrance Test in September 2017.
949 candidates achieved the qualifying score of 334 or above.
390 scores fell within 13 marks of the pass mark (321-333) and were reviewed
minecraftmum

Post by minecraftmum »

As having experienced the local review process, all I can say you have nothing to loose, apart from another anxious wait around end of November for the outcome. Last year my DS was 1 point from Stretford, (live 0.6 miles from the school) like you had high greater depth in subjects, his teachers were shocked when he didn't pass compared to others in the class who did. I think the time went against him as always taught he to re-read the questions so he ran out of time on some sections and guessed those answers. Unfortunately we was not successful however a child who scored 8 points less the year before was. Not really sure what they are looking for, all I can say is give it a go. At the time my DS wanted to try again for Y8 entry (subject to space) however he has changed his mind loves his new school, confident, flourishing in each subject and predicted to come out with a mixture of 7 and 8's in GSCE's.