9 or 10 GCSEs?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bazelle

9 or 10 GCSEs?

Post by Bazelle »

DC2 is in a co-ed comp, in year 9, doing extremely well. I am annoyed because the school doesn’t push for triple science and seems ok with the pupils doing 9 GCSEs instead of 10. They already take RE one year early. Obviously DC2 doesn’t want to work harder than needed and is very happy with this. DD1 on the other hand is in a London selective day school and all the pupils prepare for triple science and must do a minimum of 10 GCSEs. I feel that DC2 is loosing out and will have less choices when it comes to University entrance. Any thoughts on that? Should I push/insist?
MrsChubbs

Re: 9 or 10 GCSEs?

Post by MrsChubbs »

Many schools do not offer triple science and though it has been discussed on here a number of times about whether doing triple science better prepares them if they decide to continue to A level, it certainly does not prevent a student from studying A level (even at the grammar sixth forms certainly in Bucks). What will prevent a student from continuing to A level at many sixth forms will be a grade less than the old A. So what you need to think about is "do I think my DC will get top grades if they do the double award, or could they manage the same high grades doing the triple?". Obviously if the school are only going to teach double, they won't be able to study it there....
Do universities actually state they want 10 GCSEs, I don't know, others will be better informed. They are chiefly interested in good grades at A level, with the GCSEs being indicators of ability in the absence of AS levels.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

No - universities are only interested in the top 8 GCSEs.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

kenyancowgirl wrote:No - universities are only interested in the top 8 GCSEs.
Why would any 14- 16 year old want to do more than 9 GCSEs is beyond me especially as it confers no advantage in uni applications and there so many other things to do when are only 15 like skipping , hanging out with friends and generally just growing up.
KB

Post by KB »

+1
Theres no need to be concerned - if that's what the school do then if you are otherwise happy with progress just run with it.
I'd be more concerned about why they take a GCSE in year 10 - it wont be 'counted' by universities who use GCSE grades as entry criteria.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Catseye wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:No - universities are only interested in the top 8 GCSEs.
Why would any 14- 16 year old want to do more than 9 GCSEs is beyond me especially as it confers no advantage in uni applications and there so many other things to do when are only 15 like skipping , hanging out with friends and generally just growing up.
....one whispered word... with another one in brackets...(mainly) parents?! And school's try and please parents because they want them to choose the school. And early GCSEs are another factor that please parents because they see it as identifying that their child is "bright" - look at him/her - he took a GCSE when he was merely in Y10 and got an A*...not realising that actually it can mark them with universities as a child that cannot cope with a whole clutch all in one go (it's a hangover from the days when numbers of GCSEs were lauded by government stats, as well as grades, I believe - adn a time when the curriculums were, it has to be said, easier so bulk numbers were more important than actual grades).

I am not sure I buy that many kids "want" to do more, more, more academic qualifications - I don't think they wake up and say it completely un-persuaded, explicitly or implicitly, by parents. I think parents talk about high grades and lots of qualifications and children want to please. In the same way, taking it to my sphere of Careers Advice, when you get a parent who says "my child has wanted to be a ...(usually doctor)...since they were two..." well, yes, most children express some kind of interest be it doctor, nurse, teacher or even fire engine (far more normal in my household!)...but if the parent then embraces that, again, explicitly or implicitly, and nurtures the belief that this is a good thing then it is no surprise the child holds on to that belief, is it? Far more real is those children who come in saying they haven't a clue, or they thought they wanted to be but....
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My year 11 dd is doing 11 GCSEs. The school changes its policy the year after her and those students are doing 9/10 depending on double/triple science.
I am delighted for my younger child. I have no doubt dd will do well but I think she would have found it easier to do well with one less subject.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

kenyancowgirl wrote:In the same way, taking it to my sphere of Careers Advice... Far more real is those children who come in saying they haven't a clue, or they thought they wanted to be but....
So how does a Career Advisor help in that situation? Genuine question.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In a nutshell, talk through a person's interests and dislikes, talk about who they are as a person and make sggestions about things they could explore (including career ideas and methods to explore career ideas) - talk about routes into various careers - some routes suit different personalities better than others - introduce new ideas which may include attending different institutions - challenge widely held beliefs - often act as an advocate for children who disclose they are being pushed by parents one way or another - address back up plans - especially where it is clear from the school that the child is not likely to achieve the standard required for their career ideas....and other aspects too! Key thing is we lay out the options so the client can make an informed choice rather than a biased choice.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

kenyancowgirl wrote:In a nutshell, talk through a person's interests and dislikes, talk about who they are as a person and make sggestions about things they could explore (including career ideas and methods to explore career ideas) - talk about routes into various careers - some routes suit different personalities better than others - introduce new ideas which may include attending different institutions - challenge widely held beliefs - often act as an advocate for children who disclose they are being pushed by parents one way or another - address back up plans - especially where it is clear from the school that the child is not likely to achieve the standard required for their career ideas....and other aspects too! Key thing is we lay out the options so the client can make an informed choice rather than a biased choice.
Thank you KCG. One thing you don't mention is what subjects they are doing well in, so does that have no bearing on advice for direction? Or is more a case of what subjects they enjoy?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now