AS Further Maths Curriculum dilemma Decisions vs Mechanics

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
topsyturvy

AS Further Maths Curriculum dilemma Decisions vs Mechanics

Post by topsyturvy »

AS Further Maths- DC wants to do Decisions instead Mechanics.

As DC plans to do Comp Sc, so feels shd take Decisions instead of Mechanics curriculum.

Teachers supports Mechanics as has taught to many but future use is of Decisions especially as going to do be doing Computer Science.

Any maths teachers teaching Decisions for AS students in FM. Advice pls.
Guest55

Re: AS Further Maths Curriculum dilemma Decisions vs Mechani

Post by Guest55 »

Decision would be the best choice for CS - I have taught it and am sorry to see it disappear from the Maths A level.

Some teachers don't like teaching it but I do! Mechanics is my favourite but Decision is the 'newest' maths being taught and many of the algorithms are used in computing.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Thanks Guest55
Guest55 wrote:Decision would be the best choice for CS - I have taught it and am sorry to see it disappear from the Maths A level.

Some teachers don't like teaching it but I do! Mechanics is my favourite but Decision is the 'newest' maths being taught and many of the algorithms are used in computing.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

This must be the first time I have ever agreed with G55 about anything :D .

Decision will be better for CompSci.
Mechanics is the more beautiful subject though.

(nb not from a maths teacher)
Loopy
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Glad someone understood the question...
solimum

Post by solimum »

Is A level maths still modular? DS2 was able to take some extra modules "self-taught" including D1 and D2, on top of those taught in class. I presume Mechanics is the best for the rest of the group (as it presumably would be if they were going on to Physics/ Engineering/Applied Maths)
MSD

Post by MSD »

Loopyloulou wrote:This must be the first time I have ever agreed with G55 about anything :D .

Decision will be better for CompSci.
Mechanics is the more beautiful subject though.

(nb not from a maths teacher)
Yup! Having developed various computer systems and data mining algos for the past 22 years, I will pick Decisions over Mechanics every time. I wonder if that's where my love for stats come from :D
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

solimum wrote:Is A level maths still modular? DS2 was able to take some extra modules "self-taught" including D1 and D2, on top of those taught in class. I presume Mechanics is the best for the rest of the group (as it presumably would be if they were going on to Physics/ Engineering/Applied Maths)

A level maths is no longer modular. Further Maths does have some choice - you have to do a pure paper and one other for AS, or 2 pure papers and two choices for the full A level. But you can't do the thing you could previously where you take lots of different modules and then they were jiggled about to make up the maths and then the further maths qualifications - so taking a couple of extras was a possibility.

DD isn't being given any choice - looks like she will be doing statistics and decision - none of the 3 doing F maths want to go into engineering or physics, so no-one needs the mechanics (none of them are even doing physics A level). The current year 13 are doing the further pure maths one and apparently are struggling with it rather.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The choice in applied options does vary from board to board so the school will be able to point you towards what they offer. The specifications are on exam board websites. I think it is sad when individual choice is not offered; it's perfectly possible to run more than one option in a class. I often taught three different modules to support choice.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Apologies for the delay, it has been a busy month as DC attending different tests, and university interviews.

Thank you very much for your inputs and comments, all are valuable points.

The plan is to take Decisions modules for the Further maths.

:) :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now