Review includes EP report - viewed negatively?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mcduff1

Review includes EP report - viewed negatively?

Post by Mcduff1 »

There is so much help on here so appreciate your pragmatic insights.

My DS didn’t reach the 121 mark. Against all expectation he got 114. So far off.
It was his Verbal score that let him down. HT review showed Gds for English, Maths, and working above for writing Yr3,4,5. from year 4 and predicated 111-120 fir Yesr 6.
His HT report was very supportive - 1:2 and “wholehearted” support.
His CAT scores were

Verbal 134
quantitative 130
NVR 124
Spatial 106

We had an EP done to give another marker for his Verbal reasoning skills Although we recognise it is different, scores very similar in pattern to CAT scores. VCI was 130 (98 centile). But just read that EP submissions go to different panel! Have I hindered DS chances? Appreciate some perspective. Thanks for any advice.
Guest55

Re: Review includes EP report - viewed negatively?

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome. I understand that EP reports are looked at by experts to inform the review panel so I think it is a positive.

I think there are both pluses and minuses in the data - writing being the weaker aspect.

It's impossible to say how this will go and it may depend on the accuracy of the HT recommendations.
Mcduff1

Post by Mcduff1 »

Thank you for your answer. Glad I haven’t reduced his chances. I have just checked HT report again. I made a mistake re: scores for writing.

His writing is gds in Year 5 and Working at GD predicted performance for July 2019. They can’t give a 111-120 score for writing I think?

From what I can gather from the reviews and advice on here the HT report have used the right language.

CAT score confirm his potential ability; 1 score is well deserved. Confident DS is capable of making impressive progress; attaining highly; relish academic pressure; wholeheartedly support this selection review.

Thanks for your advice. This along with all the other details really helped. Thank you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is this a Bucks Primary or partner school? It may help if the HT recommendations can be compared to other students and whether they qualified.

What were KS1 levels?
Mcduff1

Post by Mcduff1 »

Hi

It is a Bucks partner School. Their recommendations are considered to be accurate. They also don’t support every request for selection review support. They have made a general point in the report about their predictions this year being accurate and his result was unexpected.

We moved from a different county in Year3. His previous school didn’t supply the KS1 results unfortunately. This is probably a negative gap but can’t be helped. That was partly why we had the EP test done.

Thank you for your help.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Was this Year 2 state school in England? The current school can find them out via a national system.
Mcduff1

Post by Mcduff1 »

Yes. It is a state primary. OK. Thank you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They should also, by law, have been sent home to you at the end of Year 2 in the report.

[The national system is called 'Key to success' I think and missing data can be found]
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now