Bromley south - realistic catchments for girls.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bromleymum2019

Bromley south - realistic catchments for girls.

Post by Bromleymum2019 »

Hello. I am new to this forum. Can anyone advise if I’m wasting my efforts considering a grammar in kent if we live in Bromley south. If not can you advise on he schools we are most likely to have an offer from if my daughter passes the test. I’m trying to research what tests to start prepping my year 5 daughter for. Thank you for any advice you can offer. We are also considering newstead (seems a very long shot) and townley (I hear the catchment no longer does to Bromley south - is this true?). Thanks again
PettswoodFiona

Re: Bromley south - realistic catchments for girls.

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Realistically from Bromley for Kent you are looking at those that go by score and have places for OOC children. That means Dartford Girls and Tonbridge. Wilmington has a handful of places for high maths scorers but will be awkward to get to from your location.

The Newstead test suits some girls better than others. You may be surprised so please don’t rule it out. Lots of girls come from far further away than Bromley.

Keep an eye on the Bexley booklet for Townley - it shrunk massively for 2018 entry and predictions are due to birth rates and popularity it is a trend that i’ve heard say will continue for the next few years. After that I think birth rates are less??? So it may change.

I don’t know the Sutton Grammars but have seen people on this forum from Bromley mention those too but I think they are normally from the Penge end of of the borough which is closer than Bromley South. How easy they are to get to will also be key for you.
Mehere

Post by Mehere »

Wilmington have changed their admission criteria for those with a high maths score. You now need to live within a 5 mile radius of the school to be awarded one of these places. I would guess that Bromley South is more than 5 miles.

In addition to PWF's suggestions, I know TWGGS (Tunbridge Wells Girls Grammar) has some Governor places for high scorers but you would need to look at their web site to see if there are any restrictions. It's also maybe a little too far away from Bromley South.

What about Weald (Sevenoaks site)? I think you might just be outside their furthest distance this year and with high birth rates it may shrink further. I am aware of someone in Y8 who travels from a Bromley station but I know that for the current Y7, girls from Orpington didn't get an offer on allocation day but achieved places later from the waiting list. Their admissions lady is very helpful if you have any queries and could tell you the furthest distance they allocated to. Its probably a long shot but might be worth including if you have any spare spaces on your CAF as you only require a Kent pass.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

I know that Weald went out as far as Bickley last year in the 2nd or 3rd round (not a Governor's place). Once places are initially allocated March-time, get on the phone directly to the schools in question and put your DDs down on the waiting lists. Good luck!
xnataliax

Post by xnataliax »

We live in Bromley South and have a DD in year 7 at Chis & Sid in Bexley borough (our second choice). She is very happy there. Townley was our first choice but as you alluded to in your original post the catchment shrunk quite a bit last year and on any other year where we would have got in on the first round, DD was number 73 on the waitlist and number 66 by the end of the summer.
DD also got offered an OOC place at DGGS 3 weeks into the Autumn term. After giving everything careful consideration we decided to stick with Chis & Sid as she is settled and content.
There are coaches that serve DGGS and Wilmington that pick up from the Old Police Station in Bromley. The Bexley grammars are served well by the 269 bus.
Good luck with your research! Happy to answer any questions you have.