acapellascience videos

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anotherdad

acapellascience videos

Post by anotherdad »

If you enjoy clever musical explanations of scientific concepts, do check out this YouTube channel. The chap that makes the videos does an impressive job writing his own lyrics to well-known melodies, explaining science topics and providing all his own “instruments”.

For fans of Disney’s Aladdin and space science, this one is cracking:

https://youtu.be/gai8dMA19Sw

And as for this one, it’s one of the cleverest of its type I’ve seen. If you know a little about entropy, it being the one-way process of order to disorder, you’ll appreciate the way the video was conceived and made. Creating lyrics to work with Billy Joel’s hit, writing those lyrics backwards, learning and singing them backwards to fit the theme of the video is an impressive feat.

https://youtu.be/i6rVHr6OwjI
Hera

Re: acapellascience videos

Post by Hera »

Love this. Watched over breakfast with kids :lol: Thanks for sharing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

anotherdad wrote:If you enjoy clever musical explanations of scientific concepts
You phrase this as though this, er, genre, was a perfectly normal thing to enjoy, anotherdad. But don't worry, you are among friends. We understand. :wink:
anotherdad wrote:For fans of Disney’s Aladdin and space science, this one is cracking:
My children would never sit through more than one minute of a Disney film when they were little (not that I tried all that hard to make them) and now my DD has announced that she thinks there is something 'dark, almost evil' about Disney. So that is never going to be a hit! Otherwise, yes, of course we would be really keen, obviously. :!:
anotherdad wrote:Creating lyrics to work with Billy Joel’s hit,
OK, I was prepared to run with this as 'oh, anotherdad must have been very bored indeed last night', but once you start suggesting messing with Billy Joel's music, I have to make a stand. He definitely had more than one hit, for a start.

Only teasing. I am sure lots of people will enjoy this. :D
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

8) I’ve always been a nerd. And there is a genre. They Might Be Giants, most famous for their hit ‘Birdhouse in your Soul’ released a whole album of science songs ‘Here Comes Science’, the songs from which are of course on YouTube.

‘The Longest Time’ is one of my favourite Joel songs from what I think was his best album. Another clever parody on one of his songs was done by Mitch Benn, who used ‘She’s Always A Woman’ as the basis for a song about the demotion of Pluto from planet to dwarf planet. It’s on YouTube too.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Someone who fell in love with me once said that song (Always a Woman) was about me. The Longest Time probably feels more appropriate to him now, after x years!

I like Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Leningrad and Just the Way you Are. But the best one to sing along to is The Longest Time.

Genesis still the best band ever though (and I am sure you can find a pop science link there!).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

anotherdad wrote:8) I’ve always been a nerd. And there is a genre. They Might Be Giants, most famous for their hit ‘Birdhouse in your Soul’ released a whole album of science songs ‘Here Comes Science’, the songs from which are of course on YouTube.

‘The Longest Time’ is one of my favourite Joel songs from what I think was his best album. Another clever parody on one of his songs was done by Mitch Benn, who used ‘She’s Always A Woman’ as the basis for a song about the demotion of Pluto from planet to dwarf planet. It’s on YouTube too.
Have you played the Periodic Table game at the Royal Institution (trying to hit the elements on the illuminated board associated with the RI as they come up in the Tom Lehrer song)?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Very clever, but not sure I could listen to too much of it!

May I recommend Sabaton? All of their songs are based on historic events (mainly war). If you like this style of music then they really are worth a listen and I often end up researching the full story behind their songs.

This one is about The Battle of Kursk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcab4_-ooj8
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

The best gift I ever received was tickets to a Billy Joel concert. Most people I know do not understand my liking for his music though (including my offspring, though I will show them these videos later).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

loobylou wrote:The best gift I ever received was tickets to a Billy Joel concert. Most people I know do not understand my liking for his music though (including my offspring, though I will show them these videos later).
You have a fellow BJ fan (with matching family) here :) .

I also love Gilbert O'Sullivan - not having heard anything of his for years, I was literally rooted to the spot one morning when Nothing Rhymed was played on the radio.

DH can't abide either of them :( .

Eta we both like Tom Lehrer, though :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

ToadMum wrote:You have a fellow BJ fan
Me too 8)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now