Deffered Child

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
apillow

Deffered Child

Post by apillow »

I a coming up with a rare topic where I am expecting a decision from the council.
We moved to Birmingham recently, DD1 got in to grammar. The issue is with DD2.
She is a summer child(late Aug), where she was educated before the cut of date for school
entry is July 2nd and hence DD2 was in Year 4 in 2017-2018 academic year. However
when we moved to Birminham, it appeared that he would have to sit in year 5 in 2017-18, which
meant that she had to sit for 11plus in september 2018, which we couldnt even imagine.
She is a bright child, however there was a 1 year gap in learning, which her then
class teacher advised not to put her in year5, and as parents knowing her well we agreed too.
Hence, when I approached the current school head, she was more than happy to
admmit her to Year4, council did say, it is the school's decision and hence she
was admitted in Year4 last year( we moved in end of June) .

Soon it proved that our decision was right as there were lot of leaning gaps between
the two places, I found Birmingham has a high standard. Now, the question is whether
she will be allowed to sit for 11plus in 2019 sept?Would she be admitted to Y7 or Y8?
The council did say that she may have to score higher points to get into grammar. We are
open to local comprehensive as well, but unsure whether she will be admitted in Y7 or Y8.

Sorry for the rant, but her head teacher and us are trying to contact the council for a defenite
answer, but unable to get one as of yet. We will continue our struggle, but if anyone
experienced the similar scenario may please shed some light. Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Deffered Child

Post by hermanmunster »

Would your DD normally be in Year 6 now (based on age)?

I think if that is the case she would be unlikely to be able to take the exam next September unless there were exceptional circumstances (not sure what they would be :? )

The GS info says :
If your son or daughter was born between 1st September 2007
and 31st August 2008, you may register them to sit the test for
entry in September 2019. Children born either side of these
dates are not normally eligible.
ETA - thought some of this sounded familiar. Just adding the link of the previous discussions

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 11&t=54406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frustrating that you haven't got an answer yet from the LEA
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have you had a look at any guidance there might be on the Foundation website, re entering children older or younger than the normal age for their academic year?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
apillow

Post by apillow »

ToadMum wrote:Have you had a look at any guidance there might be on the Foundation website, re entering children older or younger than the normal age for their academic year?
Sorry, I wasnt aware. But will have a look now. Thanks
apillow

Post by apillow »

hermanmunster wrote:Would your DD normally be in Year 6 now (based on age)?

I think if that is the case she would be unlikely to be able to take the exam next September unless there were exceptional circumstances (not sure what they would be :? )

The GS info says :
ETA - thought some of this sounded familiar. Just adding the link of the previous discussions

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 11&t=54406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frustrating that you haven't got an answer yet from the LEA
That topic, it was me who posted it :D . Hope the council will have something for us.As they did not oppose her being admitted to Year 4 when she was Year 5 age. And yes she should have been in Yer 6 in the currect academic year.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I remember you asking the questions - hoped you had had some answers by now!
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

I would perhaps call the foundation office. Hope you can get an answer either way or perhaps an independent school may be more open to this? You could apply for an assisted place or hope for a scholarship?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The '11+' info leaflet accessed via the website of the girls' grammar school in Handsworth says:

https://birminghamgrammarschools.org/Ad ... eaflet.pdf.

On the Five Ways website it says that younger children may be entered for the test, if they are formally in the same year as the correct cohort; no mention of those who are a year older.

There may be some useful info on the Foundation Offive site, but I seem to keep going round in circles there, so I have given up, sorry :( .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

I do know of a child who entered the exam a year early and was allowed to move up a year. It is very unfair if they do not allow your child to take the exam with her classmates. As already mentioned they would make adjustments for her age as they do every child any way. It is only the foundation office that can answer you though.
apillow

Post by apillow »

Thanks everyone for their replies on this matter. Council responded to the head teacher of my DD's primary and asked her to write to the schools my dd is seeking admission. All the schools we are planning to apply for yesr 7 place confirmed via email that my DD will be admitted to year 7 in 2020, Which is of great relief to us. The KE consortium also confirmed that she will be allowed to take the 11plus in 2019. That is great news for us.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now