acapellascience videos

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BucksBornNBred

Re: acapellascience videos

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I always had my doubts about some of the regular contributors; now I know why :lol:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

OK, so I can see I haven't persuaded you to move away from acapella or BJ with my offering :wink: . Maybe you could indulge me with a couple of other links? There are many recommendations online stating that they have helped with remembering facts (I have to agree; I could never have dated the Sack of Rome or even D-Day before listening to them!)

In this year of remembrance I find these songs particularly moving...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEY7Ton1gO4 Passchendaele
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltAxoW7ltok Gallipoli
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

ToadMum wrote:
loobylou wrote:The best gift I ever received was tickets to a Billy Joel concert. Most people I know do not understand my liking for his music though (including my offspring, though I will show them these videos later).
You have a fellow BJ fan (with matching family) here :) .

I also love Gilbert O'Sullivan - not having heard anything of his for years, I was literally rooted to the spot one morning when Nothing Rhymed was played on the radio.

DH can't abide either of them :( .

Eta we both like Tom Lehrer, though :) .
Billy Joel fan, though some songs I associate with an ex I’d rather not remember. Including one mentioned on this thread.

Gilbert O Sullivan is another that I listened to a fair bit when younger. He was playing a concert locally the day before my last final degree exam and myself and a friend debated as to whether we should go or not. In the end we didn’t. Sadly. I particularly like nothing rhymed.
Amber

Post by Amber »

BucksBornNBred wrote:I always had my doubts about some of the regular contributors; now I know why :lol:
Go on then, BBnB - do share your own taste... :?:

Can't say I share the love for Gilbert O'S, mind. A bit nasal for my taste. Dire Straits anyone?

Did anyone else see Genesis at Twickenham in 2007? Wish I could watch that again live. Not sure I can make any claims for its educational value though - the lyrics are often whacky enough as it is without putting the periodic table or the theory of relativity in there. Me? I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk.

As a serious (ish) point, when did all pop/rock songs start to be about lurve? I remember a lot of songs from when I was younger and they definitely weren't then. Many of the ones mentioned in this thread aren't; and off the top of my head I can think of hundreds of songs from the 80s and before which covered all kinds of topics (nuclear war; mass shootings; animals; travel; going home; nature; to name just a few). Now, every single pop song seems to be about lurve. Unless they are Disney-based science a capella, obvs.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Yes to Dire Straits too.

My musical taste is quite eclectic, and covers various decades.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My taste is very varied too, but if you don't want all your songs about lurve, you need to have Frank Turner in your life.
And yes, I have a soft spot for Dire Straits too. Must be my age.
PS should we be in Rehab?
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote: PS should we be in Rehab?
Rehab used to be fun (I remember a Jollof rice thread) but it's all word association now. Someone quick please post something worthy to keep this thread in the mainstream. Come on scary, in the olden days when you were plain scary, I managed an entire thread on samosas here which ran to 20 pages and no one tried to consign it to rehab...

Here we go - one for all you classicists. Latin verbs to music. Will that do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPDNSWpauw0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Amber on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Mmmmm samosas <drool>

helpful
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

ooh I just found out what 'bump' does! :oops:

Feel free to unbump if you like, sorry all.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Amber wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:I always had my doubts about some of the regular contributors; now I know why :lol:
Go on then, BBnB - do share your own taste... :?:

Can't say I share the love for Gilbert O'S, mind. A bit nasal for my taste. Dire Straits anyone?

Did anyone else see Genesis at Twickenham in 2007? Wish I could watch that again live. Not sure I can make any claims for its educational value though - the lyrics are often whacky enough as it is without putting the periodic table or the theory of relativity in there. Me? I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk.

As a serious (ish) point, when did all pop/rock songs start to be about lurve? I remember a lot of songs from when I was younger and they definitely weren't then. Many of the ones mentioned in this thread aren't; and off the top of my head I can think of hundreds of songs from the 80s and before which covered all kinds of topics (nuclear war; mass shootings; animals; travel; going home; nature; to name just a few). Now, every single pop song seems to be about lurve. Unless they are Disney-based science a capella, obvs.
Sorry Amber, I thought I had shared my own taste in music by promoting Sabaton. I am a rock chick and now I have discovered Sabaton who fulfil my need for heavy metal at the same time as educating me. What is not to like? Scan their songs and they are educational ... if you iike metal. Each to their own :) They all have an explanation too. Really, don't dismiss them; if a DC likes this style of music and is enquisitive then they can learn lots.

(PS I love Gilbert O'Sullivan but who doesn't ... What's In A Kiss x)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now