Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

A question about all Kent cities / towns / large villages

Post by mystery »

Please can you think of any Kent cities / towns / large villages where:

a) there is no secondary school in the town

AND

b) the closest secondary school is more than 3 miles away using the shortest available walking route

AND

c) the only form of public transport which goes anywhere near that secondary school is a train

Feeling like I should offer prizes for all correct answers. Will just have to settle for me feeling grateful!!
LocalTWmum1

Re: A question about all Kent cities / towns / large village

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Why? :?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Yes, but why?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

Bit of a random question mystery, but thought I'd give it a go.

So by process of elimination, I headed straight to Dover (not literally, you understand :lol: ) as its one of the less populated districts in Kent. Randomly found a list of the places on Google and tried a few (12 to be exact, but who's counting?) And came across Westmarsh, Canterbury, Kent. No secondary school within a 3 miles radius. Closest one was 4.31 miles. Checked if there was travel options via train via a planyourjourney site and.... Voila!

Edit: thought I'd check the next town over and they too have no secondary school in radius. For extra points, postcodes were CT3 2 and CT3 1
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Taraific wrote:Bit of a random question mystery, but thought I'd give it a go.

So by process of elimination, I headed straight to Dover (not literally, you understand :lol: ) as its one of the less populated districts in Kent. Randomly found a list of the places on Google and tried a few (12 to be exact, but who's counting?) And came across Westmarsh, Canterbury, Kent. No secondary school within a 3 miles radius. Closest one was 4.31 miles. Checked if there was travel options via train via a planyourjourney site and.... Voila!

Edit: thought I'd check the next town over and they too have no secondary school in radius. For extra points, postcodes were CT3 2 and CT3 1
You are Lobby Lud and I claim my £5?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you Taraific. I do think you get first prize - my gratitude.

So, we are thinking that Westmarsh is in the frame as the closest secondary school is over 3 miles away (in Canterbury I presume?).

I think I am correct in saying though that there is no train from Westmarsh? Sorry I hope I have not got this wrong at this late hour.

I am looking for a city / town / large village in Kent more than 3 miles from the closest school and where you can only get to that school by train.

You mentioned another town / large village there w hich might be a candidate? What is its name please?

Am I right in concluding that there are few large settlements which a) have no secondary b) the closest secondary is more than 3 miles and c) you can only get there by train, not bus?

The reason I ask is the Kent post 16 transport policy. I'm trying to work out if there are many year 12/13 students in Kent who can only get to their closest school by train. Train travel to school is pretty pricey once one is 16 (as adult fares kick in at 16 and the student rail card cannot be used on peaktime journeys) and for which there is no discounted pass in the KCC post 16 transport policy.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

I don't know the answer but this website might help you check potential candidates:

https://11-19travel.info/#promptSchool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

Ah, yes. I can see where your going with this.

I assume you can discount Westmarsh then as I don't believe it constitutes as a "large village". Move over to the next village though, which is Wingham, they too have no secondary school within a 3mile radius (High street, CT3 1AH) after checking the gov website the closest school would be at 3.14miles away and does not have a local station. However the next one did, (CT2 0HD) at 4.11miles.

I think you'll have a problem finding your answer as most of the rural areas lack a train station. However, they will more then likely run a bus route as an alternative.

Whilst randomly selecting a few districts the other day (which I can't now remember the names of) there was a few that came up which fell just short of the 3miles radius (2.6 or thereabouts) so I'm sure there is somewhere out there, which may in fact tick all your boxes.
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

ToadMum wrote:
Bit before my time. I unashamedly had to Google the phase :oops:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:
Taraific wrote:Bit of a random question mystery, but thought I'd give it a go.

:lol: :lol: :lol: eck had to explain my chuckling to the youth around me
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now