Trying not to worry about selection review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Deb70

Trying not to worry about selection review

Post by Deb70 »

Hi, having now submitted our SR paper work, we are trying to get over our initial disappointment over DS score of 118. Sadly it is still keeping us awake at night! Now reading about FCO and panel moderation......
Are only scores between 113 and 117 sent for moderation? What does that mean for scores of 118 to 120 that are deemed not qualified by a review panel?
Moderators

Re: Trying not to worry about selection review

Post by Moderators »

What does that mean for scores of 118 to 120 that are deemed not qualified by a review panel?
It seems to mean that, if you are unsuccessful at review, your case would automatically be sent to a moderation panel.
In other words, your score is so very close to 121, it would deserve a second opinion.
Are there any conditions attached (such as a need for a particular headteacher recommendation)?
Are only scores between 113 and 117 sent for moderation?
No - but this doesn't entirely make sense at the moment. Could you quote in full what you are referring to, and give the source?
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

I can't find it now!! I think it was on this forum and on a long post about requesting appeals and the review not being FCO.....should have saved it :(
It just struck me because it specifically mentioned 113-117, and ours was 118. Oh dear - I should go to sleep really. I see lots of other people are still awake on here too!
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

OK. We've worked out that you were looking at the GS case for 2015.
At that time the criteria for a referral to moderation were:
a) Non-qualified referrals from the panels (all panels were advised this was an option available to them)
b) Non-qualified pupils with a STTS of 120-118 inclusive
c) Non-qualified pupils with a STTS of 117-113 inclusive with a 1:1, 1:2 or 2:1
recommendation from their current headteacher
a) meant that review panels had the discretion to refer any unsuccessful case for moderation if they wanted another opinion.
b) meant that an unsuccessful review case with 118-120 was automatically referred to moderators for a second opinion.
c) meant that an unsuccessful review case with 113-117 and a very strong headteacher recommendation was automatically referred to moderators for a second opinion.

Moderators could overturn a review panel's initial decision.

The rules for referral to moderation seem to change every year.

Last year (i.e. for entry in September 2018) we believe the criteria were:
a) Non-qualified referrals from the panels (all panels were advised this was an option available to them)
b) Non-qualified pupils with a STTS of 120-119 inclusive
c) Non-qualified pupils with a STTS of 118 with a 1:1, 1:2 or 2:1 recommendation from their current headteacher
We don't know what the criteria will be for this coming year, although we feel fairly certain panels will still have the discretion to refer any case for moderation if they think a second opinion is merited.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Yes, thank you. I finally found it too! This forum has been so helpful, I really wouldn't have had a clue without it so thank you. I think we're so disappointed and stressed that we are now expecting to be unsuccessful at review. Will try to stop worrying until February x
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Deb70 really try and forget about it all. It will make you ill. For us we did the review with the idea that we had a slim chance. We parked all thoughts about GS and prepared DD1 for life at her local upper . It was hard but if we hadn’t we would all have been so stressed out . You have done everything you can, take it a step at a time . Worry about the next step if February doesn’t bring good news. I know it’s hard , but life does go on and a Christmas is a great distraction. Hugs Dolly xx
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Dollydripmat wrote:Deb70 really try and forget about it all. It will make you ill. For us we did the review with the idea that we had a slim chance. We parked all thoughts about GS and prepared DD1 for life at her local upper . It was hard but if we hadn’t we would all have been so stressed out . You have done everything you can, take it a step at a time . Worry about the next step if February doesn’t bring good news. I know it’s hard , but life does go on and a Christmas is a great distraction. Hugs Dolly xx
I know. That's good advice. I will post in February. Have a lovely Christmas xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now