2 1/8
12/8
14/8

Smallest to largest

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Improper fractions in order

Post by Guest55 »

The largest will be the 'most' eighths. How many eighths are in one whole? Use that to turn all the numbers into improper fractions.

[It would be helpful if posters could avoid giving the answer]
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Hi Haniya

Are you really getting good value from your tutor? This is the third(?) maths question you've asked for help on recently and if I recall from the others, it seems that you have a tutor that is blindly dishing out tests/worksheets for your daughter without understanding her capability rather than understanding what she's covered in school and complementing it.

My advice is the same as it's been in the other threads: Wait until your daughter has covered the topic in school. You risk undermining her teachers and her learning by continually trying to teach ahead. I'm sure there are lots of people on here who can help with these problems but I really don't think it's helping your daughter in the long term. Getting mathematical technique advice from strangers on the internet is no better than paying a tutor to undermine your daughter's schooling.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Either convert the top two to improper fractions, or the bottom two to mixed numbers, whichever you find easiest.

It should then be straightforward to compare them.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just think of them as apple pies, and each pie can be cut into 8 wedges. Then work out how many wedges of pie you have in each one. (Change to chocolate cake if you prefer ... :D )

I would also question how much value the tutor is delivering if s/he can't teach something this basic!
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

anotherdad wrote:Hi Haniya

Are you really getting good value from your tutor? This is the third(?) maths question you've asked for help on recently and if I recall from the others, it seems that you have a tutor that is blindly dishing out tests/worksheets for your daughter without understanding her capability rather than understanding what she's covered in school and complementing it.

My advice is the same as it's been in the other threads: Wait until your daughter has covered the topic in school. You risk undermining her teachers and her learning by continually trying to teach ahead. I'm sure there are lots of people on here who can help with these problems but I really don't think it's helping your daughter in the long term. Getting mathematical technique advice from strangers on the internet is no better than paying a tutor to undermine your daughter's schooling.

Is there a problem asking questions on here.?

If Not then what's the problem
If you can answer it then please do so
If not then let other members help

Thanks
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

Surferfish wrote:Either convert the top two to improper fractions, or the bottom two to mixed numbers, whichever you find easiest.

It should then be straightforward to compare them.

Thank you so much :)
It was a test question
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

Sally-Anne wrote:Just think of them as apple pies, and each pie can be cut into 8 wedges. Then work out how many wedges of pie you have in each one. (Change to chocolate cake if you prefer ... :D )

I would also question how much value the tutor is delivering if s/he can't teach something this basic!
Thanks alot for help
It was a progress test question
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

haniya11plus wrote:Is there a problem asking questions on here.?

If Not then what's the problem
If you can answer it then please do so
If not then let other members help

Thanks
Not at all, I'm just concerned that your tutor is taking your money for little in return and may be causing problems in the longer term. I can't stop others helping and I wouldn't want to. You're welcome to ignore my posts if you wish, but that's my view.
Last edited by anotherdad on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

Guest55 wrote:The largest will be the 'most' eighths. How many eighths are in one whole? Use that to turn all the numbers into improper fractions.

[It would be helpful if posters could avoid giving the answer]
Thanks Guest55
I was expecting you to answer me first as usual
:D
Its a question from CGP targeted question book
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now