How many schools do people typically apply to?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ilelo

How many schools do people typically apply to?

Post by ilelo »

Just wondering about that really especially in North London/Herts area.

And will applying to a school but not taking the place impact on one's other DC's application in future?

Thanks.
loobylou

Re: How many schools do people typically apply to?

Post by loobylou »

Amongst my group of friends, people have applied to between 1 and 3.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Thank you.

We are considering 4 but thinking of another 3 (from consortium so one exam though unsure about the CEM VR). It is a lot now I've written it down!

From our experience of state school exams, CEM will be a distraction as we know it's her weak area. I keep telling myself we should just focus on where she can excel. At the same time, we may have a good back up in MHCH if she gets a place.
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

ilelo wrote:Just wondering about that really especially in North London/Herts area.
3 to 4 applications is quite common in this part of the world, especially if you're adding Central London schools into the mix.

If DD's strength is the written papers, it may make sense to stick to that format unless you are particularly drawn to a Consortium school.

Bear in mind that the Consortium has said that they are going to have a test to cover a broad spectrum of ability, so it maybe won't be as tough as the CEM tests used by the highly selective state schools in N London / S Herts. Also, the Consortium test is expected to include NVR, so the VR component will carry a lower weighting than it does for the state schools.
expat

Post by expat »

Our Hampstead girls school head told us we should be thinking of at least five or six applications, which meant three or four exams for most girls last year because of the consortium.
expat

Post by expat »

ilelo wrote:And will applying to a school but not taking the place impact on one's other DC's application in future?
Not that I'm aware of beyond missing out on any potential sibling preferences. The schools all claim to understand that siblings can be different and what is right for one is not always right for another.
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

expat wrote:Our Hampstead girls school head told us we should be thinking of at least five or six applications, which meant three or four exams for most girls last year because of the consortium.
Prep schools need to stay in senior schools' good books by showing that they have lots of DCs applying.

But then you'll benefit from that relationship - a good reference from a trusted prep school carries a lot of weight!

As long as you're not being asked to do half a dozen exams in the 1st 2 weeks of Jan, it's probably worth playing the game.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would definitely recommend having a few backups.

The formats in North London are very straightforward, especially for girls, so once you have prepared it is not a problem to sit a range of schools.

There is a ranking of how easy these schools are to get into so if you are aiming for one of the harder ones do have a couple of easier ones as backup. DG
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Thanks all.

I feel we are aiming too high :D hence now considering the consortium schools.

Thanks FAC51 for the reminder about NVR.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

expat wrote:Our Hampstead girls school head told us we should be thinking of at least five or six applications, which meant three or four exams for most girls last year because of the consortium.
Hmm... it was quite the opposite for my DD. When we met the head at her Prep school, they suggested 2 schools where she had a good chance of getting an academic scholarship. Infact the suggestion was to sit for no more than 3 schools for all the DC.
FAC51 wrote: But then you'll benefit from that relationship - a good reference from a trusted prep school carries a lot of weight!
This is very true indeed. DD's friend, who was initially not offered a place in this school, was called for an interview after the head of the Prep school intervened.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now