Improper fractions in order

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Improper fractions in order

Post by ToadMum »

I think I've found the source, guys :) .

Comments re lamps being appropriate.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I second the point about not teaching ahead of the curriculum. The new maths curriculum ( since 2014) has an emphasis on really getting to grips (mastering) a topic and being able to use the knowledge to solve problems.

As Guest 55 says often, enrichment rather then content is the way forward.

More information about suitable materials here
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MSD

Post by MSD »

In our area ‘Ordering of fractions’ features consistently in the 11+ CEM exam. I have posted a link to ‘Birmingham 11+ exam content’ sticky showing how frequently children were asked to order fractions. And, all these children sat the test at the end of Year 5.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 11&t=14423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haniya, you know your child the best and will have to decide on the best way forward. Should your child be covering Year 6 topics in Year 5, and given the opportunity to fairly compete with others sitting the 11+ exam, or would you rather not get ahead of school curriculum and ‘undermine’ her teachers as suggested by our fellow posters, not that I agree with that comment.

You must also have a chat with your tutor and discuss areas your child struggles with. I am sure they will be more than happy to help.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Those topics have not been updated for some time so I don't think you can be confident that ordering fractions will be included.

Even within this topic there is variation in the difficulty depending on whether fractions >1 with different denominators are included.
MSD

Post by MSD »

The point isn't how often KenR gets around to updating the exam contents thread, the point is that 'ordering fractions' has appeared many times in CEM 11+ test and that's the format Haniya's child will be sitting. Hence, all the reason to cover them, unless she doesn't want her child to be getting ahead of school curriculum and happy to take the hit on 11+ score.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Then Birmingham should be asking CEM to stick to the Primary curriculum as it produces tests that do for other regions.
There is no guarantee that the test will include them - KenR's thread hardly covers the period since the NC changed.
MSD

Post by MSD »

There is never a guarantee of a topic appearing in an exam. As wise parents and teachers, we can only guide our children to go through all topics that have previously appeared in a certain 11+ format.

I don't really have anything else to add to this thread and won't be commenting any further to a thread that became off-topic many pages back.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes there is - when Bucks used them there was only content to the end of Year 5 so it is perfectly possibly for CEM to stick to the NC.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

MSD wrote:I don't really have anything else to add to this thread and won't be commenting any further to a thread that became off-topic many pages back.
You have an odd definition of off-topic. It's absolutely on-topic.
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

I think the OP has had her question answered now so suggest any posts which do not directly answer that might be better left in the ether