Map showing density of students for a school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
imranb

Map showing density of students for a school

Post by imranb »

Hello All,

I remember that one senior contributor had provided a thread some time ago, which takes us to a map where we can have a look at the areas from which students come into a school. Essentially a map showing the density of pupils coming from areas spread on a map. Can't seem to find that anywhere now. Is it possible for someone to re-share it?

Many thanks,
Imran
quasimodo

Re: Map showing density of students for a school

Post by quasimodo »

imranb wrote:Hello All,

I remember that one senior contributor had provided a thread some time ago, which takes us to a map where we can have a look at the areas from which students come into a school. Essentially a map showing the density of pupils coming from areas spread on a map. Can't seem to find that anywhere now. Is it possible for someone to re-share it?

Many thanks,
Imran
https://www.locrating.com/catchment_indicators.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this the site you were looking for ?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kentish_man

Post by kentish_man »

The only issue with that site is that it sort of presumes catchment areas are a nice, neat circle.
There are schools near us in South Brum (Selly Park Girls, University school to name a couple) that have quite random scatterings and clusters of pupils from various locations that look nothing like a nice, neat circle.
I seem to remember School Guide's website showing nice heat maps, that showed you that clustering.
Downside is you have to pay for school guide, but it might be worth signing up for the absolute minimum period you can, and then download/screen-capture as much data as possible before the initial period runs out?
imranb

Post by imranb »

quasimodo wrote:

Many thanks,
Imran
https://www.locrating.com/catchment_indicators.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. This is helpful. However, I was looking for something different. A few good months/a year or two maybe ago, someone had shared a link that would show in red the density of pupils attending a certain school. It was like a weather map. More the pupils from a certain area attending the school, the area would appear more red. It was quite helpful - and free too.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

imranb wrote:
quasimodo wrote:

Many thanks,
Imran

Thanks. This is helpful. However, I was looking for something different. A few good months/a year or two maybe ago, someone had shared a link that would show in red the density of pupils attending a certain school. It was like a weather map. More the pupils from a certain area attending the school, the area would appear more red. It was quite helpful - and free too.
That's the schools guide website mentioned. Google have taken its free maps away from the website so it is not available at present.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hello All,

Is this what your are looking for? http://www.dataunlocked.co.uk/schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can adjust the postcode as appropriate.
imranb

Post by imranb »

mitasol wrote:
Hello All,

Is this what your are looking for? http://www.dataunlocked.co.uk/schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can adjust the postcode as appropriate.
Thanks. This is helpful