Nuneaton and Grammar DS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Secondtimeround

Nuneaton and Grammar DS

Post by Secondtimeround »

Hi, we are looking to move from Sutton Coldfield to Nuneaton, i know about Birmingham Grammars but not much about Warwickshire ones. It would be for my DS in a few years time, which grammars do most go for in Warks please? My DD would also need a comp, which is best to try for in Nuneaton anyone know please?
Any help much appreciated, i am also trying to catch up on this forum as well. Thank you
Fatnorville

Re: Nuneaton and Grammar DS

Post by Fatnorville »

I know of a number of DS who live in Nuneaton and travel to LSS. They all take the train although I have also seen kids with LSS blazers standing at bus stops so I assume there is also a Nuneaton - Rugby school bus they can take. I don't think there is direct public bus transport between the two towns.

Travelling to the Southern area schools would be a trek and I don't know anyone who does this.

In terms of local schools, Higham Lane is undoubtedly very popular and the school many parents aspire to. I think their performance stats are also impressive.

BTW, which primary schools are you thinking of?
Secondtimeround

Thank you that's really helpful, sorry which is LLS short for please? The catchment priority thing has confused me too reading on here as you don't have that with Birmingham grammars just the score. My oldest DS is at Bishop Veseys but i think that be quite tricky for youngest DS from Nuneaton.

Great re comps too, i have looked at Higham Lane for DD it has got good results, primary needs to be COE as that's really important to us, currently at COE primary, so not sure yet on that one. Any help much appreciated there too. Thank you :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

LSS is Lawrence Sheriff School
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Sorry. No experience of COE schools so cannot advise.

In terms of LSS, LSS is in the Eastern Warks catchment. Details of this will be on the WCC website. Nuneaton is outside of this catchment so any application will be regarded as out of county.

Out of catchment applicants need to score higher than in catchment applicants. However out of catchment applicants do get offers and from memory it's not an insignificant number of kids

Please study the grammar school literature on the WCC website to understand the application process. I think someone posted a response to an FOI on this forum about the number of out of catchment applicants. That might be helpful.

Finally, and you don't have to answer this, does it have to be Nuneaton? Moving to a town in one of the catchment areas would make it a lot easier to secure a grammar place. Eastern Warks would be far less competitive than Southern Warwickshire in that respect.
Secondtimeround

That's all really useful information thank you appreciate it. I will have a good look at the WCC then get my head around it all now i have something to go on :)
ololade

Post by ololade »

Hi, does anyone have an advice on the best route to Rugby High from Bedworth. Some friends said through travel de courcey... Thanks.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Rugby high list all the private coaches on the website, it will be a case of looking at the routes and working out which one suits. Suppliers do change as each year the contract is put up for tender so it might not be de courcey in September.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

I think there is a school bus from Nuneaton to Rugby schools. You will need to check of this visit Bedworth. I am not aware of any direct public buses from Nuneaton to Rugby. I know there is a small number of LSS boys who travel from Nuneaton to Rugby daily by train. They can then walk to LSS from the station. I think this train stops at Bedworth. However RHS girls will then need to get at least one public bus to get to school.
Maxos07

Post by Maxos07 »

I know there is a bus that pick up from St.James church in Bulkington, we also live in Bedworth, is your DD going to Rugby High? Our DD is starting Rugby High in September, would be nice to meet with DD before hand if you would like to?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now