Tudor House Mock Exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Crazy Dad

Tudor House Mock Exams

Post by Crazy Dad »

At work, I was chatting to a colleague whose son sat the KEG test last year, didn't make it, but got into the Grammar school in Sutton. Anyway, she suggested that I get my son to sit one of the mock exams run by the Saturday school (Tudor House I believe). The premise being that mock exam will allow my son to get use to the exam situation irrespective of what mark he gets- since no one has any ideas what the KEG tests will contain !!.

I discussed this proposal with his tutor and asked his advice/opinion on the matter. The tutor was of the opinion that not many good things have been said about Tudor House, and the mock exam situation could have a negative effect rather than helping to calm the nerves on the actual day of the test.

My point being, yes I agree that the mock exams could have a negative impact, but at least my son would know what sort of kids he'll up against. Do you think that perhaps I may be taking too far ? Would welcome your comments and views.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Crazy Dad

You may wish to look at the following link....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=733

Patricia
Crazy Dad

Post by Crazy Dad »

So, .....Shall avoid them with a barge pole ? If they are that bad and making alot of money out of it and causing so much misery, are they breaking any laws, (should the BBC or someone do an investigation on what they are upto?) Who acn we trust?

Post by Guest »

I have heard that there is another tutoring company (A1 Tutoring) which offers similar services, are the same ? bad and over promise - under deliver? Would like to know !
KenR

Post by KenR »

Interesting; I think this raises a general question about the value or not of taking Mock exams, where the content and sylabus of the Mock exams differs significantly from the real 11+ exams.

It's possibly not all bad news. On the positive side, at least the child will have taken a mock exam in a simululated exam environment, and perhaps more importantly parents will presumably get the results back and will be able to measure their child's achievement (I assume Standardised percentile?) against a large population of candidates. This must have some value surely?

I don't particularly like Tudor House School; I think their marketing is very misleading - but I'm not sure that the mock exams are completely worthless so long as you understand fully the limitation

Any thoughts?

Ken
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi "Crazy Dad"! (Is it the 11+ that is driving you crazy)

I wonder how valuable these mock tests actually are. Neither of my children sat them, but I know people whose children did. I am not saying it had any bearing on the matter at all, but the two children I am thinking of didn't get into the grammar schools either.

Why not sit your boy down and time him with exam conditions and save yourself about £50 (I am guessing). Put the money towards a celebratory meal when he has sat his test in November.

There are some unscrupulous companies out there who are keen to make money out of the anxiety that parents have about secondary school education. I don't know what tests they get the children to do, but I am sure you can buy them in W H Smith. One child I know who went to Saturday school told my daughter that she just did Bond books each week at home and they sat and marked them in the lesson.

If you think it would benefit your son, then go for it, but I don't think it will make much difference on the day. You also have to contend with the fall out if he doesn't do very well on the Mock test.
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Simultaneous postings, Ken!
Dani

Tudor House

Post by Dani »

Dear Crazy Dad

FYI on tudor house also see :

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=826

I agree with KE Mum -don't waste your money you can easily do practice tests at home . If you only want to get your son used to working to timed tests maybe the CDS may be useful as they have a timer for each test and question and you son can make many attempts and try to beat his previous time/score.

best of luck and don't go too crazy !
Dani
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I am in agreement with the posts - however, if these types of non-reputable establishments are bad, why is it that they have so many children attending their classes. Surely, the parents who send their kids there are not ill informed or ignorant, the schools must have something which attracts the business that it does and the money it makes. They must have some scruples. Another tutoring service I have heard is called Cloisters Tutoring - midland based, are they any better?
Dani

Tudor House

Post by Dani »

Dear David C,

Private tutors and classes is a big money making business these days - the competition for places is high and each year more and more enter and the exams get tougher to pass. the business is there for the taking and Tudor House use alot of marketing strategies so they are a success and they have little competition - how many others out their holding mock exams and how many other companies are handing out leaflets in carparks at school open days ?

The classes may be popular and the kids may be learning and this is not bad, what is bad is that they are providing misleading information and offering tailor made testing/tuition for particular regions and then getting that grossly wrong - as mentioned by Patricia who seems to be an expert in Bucks area.

Best way to a assess a tutor , i think is to to do some research yourself about the 11 plus and then ask the tutor specific questions to see how much they really know about 11 plus.
Dani
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now