Appeal hearing

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sem

Appeal hearing

Post by sem »

My DD's Appeal was held yesterday.....I survived :?

It was every bit as nerve racking as I expected and I can only liken it to The Apprentice!

Glad it is all over now but disappointed to be told that we won't hear until July 9th :shock:

Thankyou to all on this site who wished me luck, it meant a lot.

I will of course let you know the outcome.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Sorry you have to wait so long. Good luck
sem

Post by sem »

How can I be sure that all the documents that I submitted for my appeal were actually seen by the panel?

I sent in letters from my daughter's Headteacher, form teacher and numeracy and literacy teacher plus SATs, CATs and reports.

The reason I ask is that I was expecting the panel to ask me questions regarding things I had put in my appeal statement, which they didn't.

I know it states that the panel will have copies of everything I submitted, I just want to clarify, how do I know they did?

Hope this makes sense :?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

sem wrote:The reason I ask is that I was expecting the panel to ask me questions regarding things I had put in my appeal statement, which they didn't.
Why should the panel question something that you've submitted? If it's clear enough, then I'd take it as written. I'd only question it if there was ambiguity.
Capers
sem

Post by sem »

Thanks Capers, I was hoping you'd be here.

I think I was expecting to be asked more questions by the panel than I was. I was in fact only asked one question which was about locality to my allocated school as the panel member was unfamiliar with my address.

It was all so nerve racking at the time, it's only now that it's all beginning to sink in and I'm starting to think of all these things.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I would have the same question going through the back of my mind; what if a photocopying error meant they did not have all the documents I sent in?

I thought in some other post, Etienne said that everyone was given a copy of the package of papers beforehand - including the appellant. Did I imagine this? If it was the case, it would give an appellant the reassurance that everyone on the panel did have the stuff that he/she sent in beforehand.
sem

Post by sem »

Thank you Perplexed...that is exactly what I thought would happen.
The only thing I received were;

Statement for Appeal
A list of class sizes and structures for HSFG
A guide to SATs and CATs and a photocopy of a form they sent to my DD's primary school stating predicted SATs, estimated ranking in year group etc.

I think paranoia is setting in :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Etienne said that everyone was given a copy of the package of papers beforehand - including the appellant. Did I imagine this? If it was the case, it would give an appellant the reassurance that everyone on the panel did have the stuff that he/she sent in beforehand.
This is correct.

Everyone must have exactly the same paperwork. There can, sometimes, be a problem if additional evidence is sent in after the paperwork has been dispatched.

If you have any concerns, why not contact whoever organised the appeals to see what they say?
Etienne
sem

Post by sem »

Thank you Etienne, I will do this today.
sem

Post by sem »

I have just read back through the booklet the Council sent me regarding Information about School Admission Appeals.

It states that a week before the Hearing date, you will be sent a copy of the Children and Young People's Directorate's Statement that the panel will consider.
It doesn't mention sending me copies of my original documents anywhere, so I assume this must be something that differs with different LEA's?