Grammar School or Bust: For those planning to move house

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Grammar School or Bust: For those planning to move house

Post by Amber »

I was just messing about when I came across this. It is an interactive map of A level results by county and subject.

https://analytics.ofqual.gov.uk/apps/20 ... el/County/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buckinghamshire - you should be shouting this from the rooftops in your quest to keep out exam tourists or those with a sudden passion to live in your county when their children hit ten. In fact, it seems they would be better off moving to Rutland, which seems to excel in almost every subject (and is the only place in England where more than a handful get A* in English A level); and failing that, to Oxfordshire (Maths, History), Herefordshire (Chemistry), Shropshire (Physics), Cambridgeshire or Hertfordshire (History), North Yorkshire (most things above average, and you get Betty's too), Leicestershire (Physical Education), Berkshire or Sussex (Art) or the Isle of Wight (Politics). Bucks in fact does not feature in any of the top stats for A level; nor does my county of Gloucestershire, nor Kent, the other GS hot spot.

Could make for a hard choice for anyone whose child wants to study a mixture, but a daily commute between Shropshire and Rutland is nothing for a VBC (Very Bright Child) whose passion is set on Natural Sciences at Cambridge from age 10 - a sacrifice worth making, as I am sure most parents would agree.

What this tells us is what many of us already knew - that children living in non GS areas do manage to get educated, and leave school with decent qualifications. But what may not have been clear is that the GS areas are actually doing worse in many subjects than many of the non-GS ones, and certainly no better than the average. This is surely big news? Especially for those of you trying to push back an ever-growing tide of exam tourists across your county boundaries in areas where they would be better off staying put, if the only thing they care about is exam results.

PS Sorry Rutland if this results in a sudden flood of enquiries at your no doubt very small LA offices. :wink:
stroudydad

Re: Grammar School or Bust: For those planning to move house

Post by stroudydad »

Ooh Amber, that is what we call ‘pulling the pin and throwing in the grenade.’ Let the fireworks start.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Amber wrote:Could make for a hard choice for anyone whose child wants to study a mixture, but a daily commute between Shropshire and Rutland is nothing for a VBC (Very Bright Child) whose passion is set on Natural Sciences at Cambridge from age 10 - a sacrifice worth making, as I am sure most parents would agree.
That's a bit easy isn't it? My daughter is appearing for Medicine at Cambridge, in Swahili.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

anotherdad wrote:
Amber wrote:Could make for a hard choice for anyone whose child wants to study a mixture, but a daily commute between Shropshire and Rutland is nothing for a VBC (Very Bright Child) whose passion is set on Natural Sciences at Cambridge from age 10 - a sacrifice worth making, as I am sure most parents would agree.
That's a bit easy isn't it? My daughter is appearing for Medicine at Cambridge, in Swahili.
And, of course, her passion dates back to how deeply she was influenced by the caring and professional way your GP carried out her and anothermum's 6 week check. Those who only make up their mind on their career path at the end of year 5 probably lack the required dedication, tbh.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

I wonder if the mods ought to start a new section under the indie one: ' Rutland as an alternative to grammar'. The day we get 'grammar schools as an alternative to non-selective schools' will be a happy one for me.

Seriously though, does not this information mean that the entire thing is founded on an entirely false premise? I mean, I have held that view ever since I started being a serious student of education, but this proves it, right? This is the silver bullet which deals with the 'but bright children do best at special schools for bright children' argument put forward by those who believe that their 'bright children' need to be in a different environment to (my hated phrase) 'fulfil their potential', otherwise their amazing brains will atrophy and die and their marvellous worth will be lost to mankind forever. It seems moving to Rutland or Shropshire may offer a grain of hope for unsuccessful exam tourists nurturing such talented souls in their midst.
Last edited by Amber on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Of course what is in Rutland at 6th form?

2 huge indies with about 380 A level students between them and 2 state schools with 112 A level students between them :lol: :lol:

nice big lake though. and tea shops.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Pft! My child's interest came in utero - on the scan the midwife pointed out they were conducting, impeccably, the Bach's 2nd Symphony, that happened to be playing on Classic FM at the time.
Amber

Post by Amber »

hermanmunster wrote:Of course what is in Rutland at 6th form?

2 huge indies with about 380 A level students between them and 2 state schools with 112 A level students between then
As I understood the figures they were for state schools only as it is Government stats, but perhaps that would sway it.

The Rutland thing in my post was intended as a bit of a joke tbh.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I can see some parents trying to work out what counties their child needed to be in for each A level...and trying to secure places in 3 schools and commute around each week....

I think, regardless of what type of school it is, it does support Amber's assertation that, actually, Grammar School or bust is a myth. A child who works hard, is well supported either by family or by school - or hopefully both, can do well anywhere.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:
The Rutland thing in my post was intended as a bit of a joke tbh.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

there isn't room for everyone there !

suspect they have included indies https://www.compare-school-performance. ... me=rutland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now