10+ Entrance for City of London and St Paul's

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worrybot

10+ Entrance for City of London and St Paul's

Post by worrybot »

Hello!

Please can I have recommendations for materials to be used to do preparation for 10+ entry to City of London and St Pauls.

Thank you
Thank you,

Worrybot
worrybot

Re: 10+ Entrance for City of London and St Paul's

Post by worrybot »

The wise and the experienced ones on this forum, can you please help with this question?

I am really confused with what and how to prepare DS for this test. We are currently concentrating on English and Maths but have heard the test also comprises of Verbal Reasoning. On their website, City of London school only gives maths and english papers as examples.

How do I prepare my DS for Verbal Reasoning? Which books do we need to work on and what techniques?

Thank you
Thank you,

Worrybot
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

Worrybot,

Unfortunately it looks as though there aren’t many people on the forum with 10+ experience of these schools.

We briefly considered the City 10+ a few years ago and, as you’ve found, I only saw maths and English sample papers online.

Usually, the school would tell you what the exam format is going to be. Have you been to an open day / school-in-action morning and asked the question? If not, try calling the admissions office and see if they can provide clarification.

If you get a definitive answer, please do share it with us.
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

Hello all,

I contacted the school on Friday with my questions regarding the test and received a response from the admissions registrar within an hour. Really impressed by the speed of response.

Unfortunately, we could not attend the open days to illness in family but are hoping to be invited to a coffee morning after the test :)

The school confirmed that there is a verbal reasoning test but no specimen paper is provided. I was however sent the admissions booklet and it states
our website gives details of the entrance examination papers that are sat for the different points of entry. Take time to read this information carefully, and note the format and timing. You will be able to find specimen entrance examination papers for many other schools on their websites. These can be good for practice, but remember that the format may differ, and you need to be looking at schools which are of a similar academic calibre to CLS (compare the GCSE and A Level results as a guide).
Our English examinations at 10+ and 11+ contain a multiple-choice comprehension section: this requires high levels of inference skills after close reading of the text, so your son needs to be familiar with spotting answers that can easily be ruled out, leaving time to focus and ponder on the answers that are likely to be correct. We expect candidates to be reading widely, and reading books with a demanding vocabulary (such as Classic Starts and Puffin Classics).

There is a wide range of online and printed resources available that may help your son to prepare, most of which include the answers so you do not have to do all the work yourself! We do not recommend specific publishers or series of books, but remember that our 10+ reasoning entrance examination focuses on Verbal Reasoning, whilst the 11+ reasoning entrance examination contains both Verbal and Non- Verbal sections. Look for those resources appropriate to your son’s age as a starting point. You could then use resources aimed to stretch or for an older age group to refine his skills
Based on this information, I have bought Bond Verbal Reasoning Assessment Test for 8-9 years to learn as I was told they are easier ones. DS seems to be enjoying learning this new skill and is doing well. Once this book is finished I intend to move to CGP 10 minutes test and also have purchased Letts Verbal Reasoning Quick Tests for both GL and CEM. I don't know if we will be able to complete these before the test which is on 4th January, if not they will be used for 11+.

This is all we are doing at the minute with maths and english.

I will be grateful if any one else can share any other information they have and make recommendations for books to be worked on.

I hope this helps other members of this forum.

Thank you
Thank you,

Worrybot
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

For a 10+ exam, I would usually recommend getting up to the 9-10 level in a subject, but you may not have time to do that if starting VR for the first time.

Good luck. You're now our resident expert on the 10+. :D
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

My intention is to move up a level at least. With VR so far I think we have success in Synonyms, Antonyms, Compound Words, Hidden Words etc. DS seems to have picked on crosswords and numerical reasoning very quickly and is good at it.

I personally am terrible with codes for words and it really freaks me out so its more of me learning with help from DH who is a pro at it. DS is doing better than me with the codes.

I think by the end of next week we will move on to 9-10 years book and will hold on 10-11 for later on in the new year.

I am sure the true experts on this topic are hiding somewhere :lol:
Thank you,

Worrybot
Stressed_Dad

Post by Stressed_Dad »

Hi

Does anyone have any details about the 10+ verbal paper at City Of London Boys? How long is the paper? How many questions? I have heard that it is quite time pressured.....

Does the VR, English and Maths carry equal weighting....??

Sorry lots of questions.......last minute panic as the exams are next week.....

Thanks!
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

Hi Stresseddad!

I have been on a mission to find out about the VR test for City of London 10+ entrance and there is no information available any where. The school just says to use practice papers from well known publishers.

If you find out anything else please would you pm me?

If not we will know next week.

Goodluck
Thank you,

Worrybot
mad?

Post by mad? »

If/when you do find out it would be beneficial if you shared the information here rather than by PM, that way all of next year's takers on the forum can benefit, rather than having to ask as you all are now :) . Good luck next week.
mad?
Stressed_Dad

Post by Stressed_Dad »

If I find out, I will let this forum know, but I fear that i probably won’t find out until the day my son sits his exam and he tells me!

Best of luck all....