CSSE English Preparation material

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rlgs

CSSE English Preparation material

Post by rlgs »

Can someone tell me the best way to prepare for the CSSE English paper as this paper is heavily based on a big comprehension and most of the material available is either smaller comprehensions or other english questions.
Leighmum2019

Re: CSSE English Preparation material

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Reading, reading, reading! Complex and older texts especially and lots of questioning about vocab and inference.

I’m not going to suggest a reading list as I truly believe that you have to love a book to truly understand it- my DD’s favourites last year were A Monster Calls, the murder most unladylike series, Nancy drew books and Anne of Green Gables
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

I agree with reading. You want to go for the older books with more complex vocabulary too.

The other thing that can help is "word a day" we used to pick a word out the dictionary the night before and stick it on the fridge, DD had to the end of that day to put it into a complete sentence that made sense.

Other than those things there isn't much you can do that your child won't already be doing in school
rlgs

Post by rlgs »

Thanks Leighmum2019 and Proudmumregardless. Did you use any of the books or materials which has big comprehensions with similar type of questions as CSSE?

Also would be great if you can suggest some more older books.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I disagree that there is not much that they are not doing in school, especially creative writing and complex comprehension.

Older classic books, Treasure Island, Tom Sawer, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess , Little Lord Fauntleroy, The Railway Children, Tom's Midnight Garden. DG
Oguledoen

Post by Oguledoen »

Read, read, read and more reading of different novels and get used to heavy text. Then past papers and sat paper will do the magic
kegboys

Post by kegboys »

My son saw an English tutor 5 times, she taught him what to do first in the English paper and the time to spend on each part before you have to move on, the list of words they have to find similar in text has a technique. You also need to work on continuous writing, there is a technique esp for instructions that you can learn, good openers and avoiding repetition is key. Good luck...pleased we will never have 11 plus in the family again....it helps for your child to see the end goal, which is to go to grammar and to not overwork them, my son had a lovely summer enjoying himself and had a max of one hour tutor homework a week, he wanted to go to grammar like his brother so just got on with it then enjoyed his free time.

I disagree about getting your child to read lots of complex old books, esp if they are a boy, my friends did this and switched their children off reading completely and reading time which should be relaxing became a big fight.

My son carried on with David Walliams etc, as he reads for pleasure, not to get through an exam.
rlgs

Post by rlgs »

kegboys wrote:My son saw an English tutor 5 times, she taught him what to do first in the English paper and the time to spend on each part before you have to move on, the list of words they have to find similar in text has a technique. You also need to work on continuous writing, there is a technique esp for instructions that you can learn, good openers and avoiding repetition is key. Good luck...pleased we will never have 11 plus in the family again....it helps for your child to see the end goal, which is to go to grammar and to not overwork them, my son had a lovely summer enjoying himself and had a max of one hour tutor homework a week, he wanted to go to grammar like his brother so just got on with it then enjoyed his free time.

I disagree about getting your child to read lots of complex old books, esp if they are a boy, my friends did this and switched their children off reading completely and reading time which should be relaxing became a big fight.

My son carried on with David Walliams etc, as he reads for pleasure, not to get through an exam.
Thanks kegboys for the advice.

I know it is hard for the boys to stay in reading. My son does like reading but mainly books with simple vocabulary.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Reading is the best way to improve your vocabulary.

It is so easy to do it on a kindle as you can highlight the word and find out on the spot what it means.

If he likes reading I am sure you can persuade him to try something a bit more challenging. DG
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Daogroupie, children in year 5 & 6 do a great deal of creative writing and comprehension.