Bucks selection review advive

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Bucks selection review advive

Post by Guest55 »

Have you got other evidence?
The lower verbal reflects KS1 and the Year 5 test scores. I think this will be touch and go and some years 50% have not been successful on this score.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Don't have other official evidence, the school doesn't give much feedback wrt actual test scores. I know his maths has always been stronger than English, however he has shown continual improvement in reading/writing and is at the top of his class. Reading age is 14, not sure if I can get written evidence of this from school in time as it's now half term. I think all sections of his Transfer Test were lower than they should have been because the maths and NVR are higher than VR, this fits with his aptitude, but he was definitely capable of 85-90% in VR and 95% in maths - he consistently achieved that in practice tests. The NVR he just sees the patterns and didn't do any practice. This is so hard - will just be honest and hope for the best. I do think this year's test was very susceptible to tuition. Maybe I should have got him doing lots of other transfer tests to prepare for this one, instead of just doing the one we actually want. It seems to be what everyone else has done. Thanks for advice.
Deb70

STAR reading assessment

Post by Deb70 »

I'm not sure what my child's STAR reading assessment scores mean. They are written in the back of his reading record but school has never sent any formal reports of this. What sort of scores should I be looking for to include this as evidence for a selection review submission? DC said his latest score was the highest in the class but I'm not sure what I should be comparing it to. I need to submit his review soon. Help!

Moved from Bucks
Guest55

Re: STAR reading assessment

Post by Guest55 »

The Head would need to tell you this and include it on the HT form.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Please don't start multiple threads about your own case - it helps us to have all your appeal questions in one place.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Deb70

Re: Bucks Selection Review - happy to help

Post by Deb70 »

My DS scored 118 and we have submitted selection review paperwork. At the time it was half term and although the school were very supportive and completed the HT section, I didn't ask for any additional recommendations from them. They do STAR reading, which is a CAT test, but I wasn't sure at the time how to interpret the scores that were written in his reading record. Today he has had another STAR assessment and scored 12.4, which was the highest in the year (ironically much higher than the children who passed the transfer test). He scored 128 in NR, 117 in NVR and 114 in VR (the VR brought him down) in transfer test. My question is, if he doesn't qualify via SR, could I include these STAR assessments as further evidence if I go for an appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

could I include these STAR assessments as further evidence if I go for an appeal?
Yes, although 117 and 114 may not be high enough to impress a panel.
Etienne
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Hi Deb70. Remember that in the event of the review being unsuccessful, an appeal will only be heard if you can show that the review wasn't carried out fairly, consistently and objectively. As the review decision time approaches, have a read about how that all works so you are prepared if it's needed.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Thanks anotherdad, I have been reading up on it. A lot :)
Deb70

Can reviews ever be FCO?!

Post by Deb70 »

Since non-Bucks or partner schools can never have the Head Teacher's assessment completed before the Transfer Test, they are always going to be given less weight. Can this be fair, consistent or objective? How do the panel know that the HT's recommendation was influenced by the parents or the test results? What if the HT was completely honest? How is the panel to know? If a HT was being honest, isn't this unfair to the child whose HT recommendation has been given less weight?

We have moved your latest post here.
Please keep to a single thread on Appeals! :?

Moderators