Physics and Maths A levels

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eccentric

Physics and Maths A levels

Post by Eccentric »

Does anyone know how much work is involved in doing Physics and maths A levels together? My daughter seems to think that because of the Maths component in the Physics A level this will reduce the work load. She is still undecided about which A level to take as a 4th and yes she has decided absolutely that she wants to take 4 and I am now with her on this having heard that a friends daughter didn't have enough UCAS points to apply to her chosen veterinary science course despite getting A*AA because she hadn't taken 4 and having spoken to someone who is responsible for intake at Barts it seems that yes 3 is the requirement but a large proportion of students that get in have 4 or 5.

The other possible option that she is exploring is Psychology.
mad?

Re: Physics and Maths A levels

Post by mad? »

Eccentric wrote:Does anyone know how much work is involved in doing Physics and Maths A levels together? My daughter seems to think that because of the Maths component in the Physics A level this will reduce the work load.
There is a cross over, and for those that excel this certainly reduces the work load, particularly when compared to a humanities subject. However, do not think that either of them are easy, and if a DC does not 'get it' that's 2 A levels to struggle with not one.
Eccentric wrote:She is still undecided about which A level to take as a 4th and yes she has decided absolutely that she wants to take 4 and I am now with her on this having heard that a friends daughter didn't have enough UCAS points to apply to her chosen veterinary science course despite getting A*AA because she hadn't taken 4
Beware the advice of disappointed parents
Eccentric wrote:and having spoken to someone who is responsible for intake at Barts it seems that yes 3 is the requirement but a large proportion of students that get in have 4 or 5.
Yes but lots of that will be FM, and that was then and this is now (linear), also, does she want to be a vet or a doctor? Or is there a Barts Vet school (sorry not heard of it so assumed medicine)?
Eccentric wrote:The other possible option that she is exploring is Psychology.
DD wanted to do this but it was not offered, is she interested in it?
mad?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I didn't think courses like Vet Medicine accept on points, only on grades?
My friend whose son did physics and maths said that he definitely found his workload was better doing both.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1 on the disappointed parents...could be a poor result in the UKCAT, bad interview, poor work experience or low overall profile - there are many many vet schools (including prestigious ones) that would have taken someone with those grades, points don’t come into it, so I smell a small rat there....There are also very few Medicine courses that ask for 4 (Cambridge is one) - they ask for 3, the offer is on 3 - yes many enter having 4 but they haven’t needed 4 to get in. It’s a massive difference - and a hangover from the old style A levels - most schools are moving away from advising 4 except for FM or in exceptional circumstances.

If she is determined then she does need to accept that it is 4 much harder A levels than previously (there is less Maths in the current Physics A level than before). Psychology is a heavy essay subject but might be “different” and offer her another dimension to pure science - but new subjects come with a warning in our school - general advice is don’t do 2 new subjects as they are always harder than they look!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

loobylou wrote:I didn't think courses like Vet Medicine accept on points, only on grades?
They don't, so I would ignore this advice.

Look at the specifications - there is some minimal overlap.

KCG is a career's expert with a son applying for medicine this year - you can't get more up-to-date than that.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

kenyancowgirl wrote:+1 on the disappointed parents...could be a poor result in the UKCAT, bad interview, poor work experience or low overall profile - there are many many vet schools (including prestigious ones) that would have taken someone with those grades, points don’t come into it, so I smell a small rat there....There are also very few Medicine courses that ask for 4 (Cambridge is one) - they ask for 3, the offer is on 3 - yes many enter having 4 but they haven’t needed 4 to get in. It’s a massive difference - and a hangover from the old style A levels - most schools are moving away from advising 4 except for FM or in exceptional circumstances.

If she is determined then she does need to accept that it is 4 much harder A levels than previously (there is less Maths in the current Physics A level than before). Psychology is a heavy essay subject but might be “different” and offer her another dimension to pure science - but new subjects come with a warning in our school - general advice is don’t do 2 new subjects as they are always harder than they look!
Thanks KCG. She is determined to do 4 . She says she will drop the 4th if she finds the work load too much. The teachers think she is able as long as she attends all the lessons, uses the study periods and keeps up the amount that she is working at home now they think she will be fine. They do OCR Physics which still has a reasonable maths component. She is just trying to work out what is going to be best for her. I sit on the fence. She is dyslexic so I think an essay heavy subject such as Psychology may be hard. However there are components of Physics that she finds a bit boring and as you say it might be nice for her to spread her mind a bit. She has never done Psychology before. I have a Psychology Degree and I hated every minute of it so I am biased.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Guest55 wrote:
loobylou wrote:I didn't think courses like Vet Medicine accept on points, only on grades?
They don't, so I would ignore this advice.

Look at the specifications - there is some minimal overlap.

KCG is a career's expert with a son applying for medicine this year - you can't get more up-to-date than that.
She has looked at the Specs Guest55 and is still none the wiser. This is much harder for her than the GCSE choices. I just wondered if there was anyone who had experience of the combination of Physics and Maths with their child/children. On average how many hours of study is expected for each A level? DD seems to think probably about 12 hours a week.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My DS did both but it was modular then.

She needs to ask girls at school in Year 13.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Eccentric wrote:I just wondered if there was anyone who had experience of the combination of Physics and Maths with their child/children. On average how many hours of study is expected for each A level? DD seems to think probably about 12 hours a week.
DD2 did both, linear. Combined they were less time than her Art A level. Substantially. Probably less time than English as well BUT (and it is a HUGE but) neither should be taken as an add on. They are challenging and as I mentioned up thread struggling with one can easily mean struggling with two. I ask again what does she enjoy?
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

mad? wrote:DD2 did both, linear. Combined they were less time than her Art A level. Substantially. Probably less time than English as well BUT (and it is a HUGE but) neither should be taken as an add on. They are challenging and as I mentioned up thread struggling with one can easily mean struggling with two. I ask again what does she enjoy?
Sorry mad? The first sitting of Maths A level new linear spec is this summer ... so are you sure?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now