School journey

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

School journey

Post by zorro »

How typical!
We have been waiting eagerly to find out when DS's induction day at new independent would be.
Got letter today- lovely day planned doing D&T in lab, Art lesson etc meeting new classmates and teachers, followed by Head's talk and dinner for kids and parents.
Guess what_DS is away in Cornwall on school journey!
What should we do?
I really think he should go to induction day - after all he won't be seeing many of his old classmates on a regular basis .
DH thinkds he should go to Cornwall as he is quite gregarious and shouldn't have too many problems settling in to new school.
Other option is to go down and bring him back for the day. School induction is on Wed and they come back from Cornwall on Fri.
Any suggestions?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

How long is the holiday for - maybe he could go for half the time? I know as a girl it would have been important for me to go to the induction, but I think boys are a bit more thick skinned and can fit in more easily. At times when I've worried about my boys over differing situations I will get men saying to me that boys don't see things the same way as there mothers do! :roll: In some ways it would be a shame to not have this final exciting time with his soon to be ex class mates. I also expect given the short notice there will be many others who cannot make it as this is holiday season for leavers! I've probably not been much help, but I think on the whole I'd let him go to Cornwal for the whole week. :)

Not that its in the same league at all, but my DS has a boarding induction at St P's next Saturday and he's suposed to be representing the school at an athletics final! School and son are not too pleased. :wink: :( So I am doing the opposite to the advice I am giving you, although if your son had been trial boarding then I would definitely said that he should attend the induction.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Glad you got to hear (at long last!!).

Have you asked him how he feels about it?

It may be he's not too bothered about going to the new school and may want to be with his friends for (almost) the last time.

On the other hand he may be looking forward to being a part of the new one and eager to make a start with it all.

I'd lay out all the options and go with what he wants to do.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Trip is from Sat til Fri.
I think you are right Tipsy- DH suggested that we go to Heads Talk and dinner and see if DS can go another day for sample lesson.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Snowdrops,
DS would rather spend time with his classmates as they are doing loads of activities like abseiling,canoeing etc.But he's still disappointed to miss the introduction to his new school.
Guess the ball is in his court really?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I'm sure that missing the induction day cannot matter that much. There never used to be such things and we all survived. I'm sure there will be others who miss it too for various reasons.

And don't be too sure that he will move on from primary school friends and never see them again. It does not always work that way, particularly if they are local and secondary school friends are more distant.

There could even be a plus side; what if you attend the induction day and dislike it for some reason? Then you worry more all summer about starting there, whereas in at the deep end on day one could be better.

Good luck
zorro

Post by zorro »

He will see his old friends regularly hopefully but as experienced with my older daughter they do tend to drift apart eventually.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

All the schools in Bexley seem to have their induction days in the penultimate week of term which is the week my son's year 6 is going on their school journey to the Isle of Wight. I think all the parents concerned are letting their children go on the school journey. I certainly am, although I am in a slightly better position in that my son is going to the school his elder brother is at, so he is already fairly familiar with the school.

You're having to choose between a whole week away with good friends doing fun activities and one day at their new school, the value of which is rather uncertain. When my eldest son had his induction day they were shown around the school, did a few fun things in the morning and then sports in the afternoon. Nice, but not worth giving up a school journey for! My sons' school also has an induction evening a few weeks earlier when he will get to meet other children joining at the same time - does your son's school have anything like that?

And Perplexed is right, at the end of the day, we all used to survive without induction days. I bet if your son could do the induction day AND the school journey, it would be the school journey he remembers in 10/20 years time!
zorro

Post by zorro »

It's all on the one day.
DH says they are better just going in on 1st day of term with no pre-conceived ideas.
I know he will really enjoy the school trip so think we will go for that- sure he won't be the only child not able to come.
hopeforthebest

Post by hopeforthebest »

oo
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now