Query about first choice for 2019 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
smile123

Query about first choice for 2019 entry

Post by smile123 »

I wanted to ask whether the Birmingham consortium will allow you to reject your first choice of preferred grammar school that was placed on the CAF form amidst all the changes to the new proposals due to be taking for 2020. . If I had known of these changes beforehand it would have altered the way I placed my choices on the form. If I am offered my first choice of grammar but now no longer wish to accept it for my child and opt for the grammar school that is second as that will now be the school that will be in catchment area for my future children, will I be able to decline my first choice? If I can then how will I request the second Choice school as that is only offered to people if first choice is not met due to scores etc. I hope this question makes sense.
Tinkers

Re: Query about first choice for 2019 entry

Post by Tinkers »

You should accept your first choice, assuming it is offered, then asked to be placed on the waiting list for your second choice.

If you reject your first choice, and don’t get your second choice the LA don’t have to offer you another school. So if you don’t get your second choucecfrom the waiting list you could end up with a school you don’t want.
smile123

Post by smile123 »

Ok thanks for that info. Is that the same thing to do if my second school (and now preferred choice) is in the Warwickshire authority? Sorry I should have added thatin thd original post.
MSD

Post by MSD »

smile123 wrote:I wanted to ask whether the Birmingham consortium will allow you to reject your first choice of preferred grammar school that was placed on the CAF form amidst all the changes to the new proposals due to be taking for 2020. . If I had known of these changes beforehand it would have altered the way I placed my choices on the form. If I am offered my first choice of grammar but now no longer wish to accept it for my child and opt for the grammar school that is second as that will now be the school that will be in catchment area for my future children, will I be able to decline my first choice? If I can then how will I request the second Choice school as that is only offered to people if first choice is not met due to scores etc. I hope this question makes sense.
My understanding is you won’t automatically be put on the waiting list of your second choice, if you secure your first preference. However, you can request to go on the waiting list of your second choice after the offers day, where you might end up way down the list.

The best thing would be to call up LEA and see if you can make changes now. The other thing to keep in mind is that the new proposals are still in the consultation phase and not approved just yet. I realise it’s a bit of catch 22 unfortunately.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Please do take advice from the LA - if you make changes now they are likely to be marked as late, which means you would be made an offer after everyone who applied in time.

If you accept your first choice and ask to be put on the waiting list for your second choice, assuming your first choice required a higher score (I am imagining that your current second choice is AGS?), then you may find you are quite high up the waitlist - although there is no guarantee.

As Tinkers said, do not just reject your first choice as you will then be without a school offer.
smile123

Post by smile123 »

First choice was handsworth girls and second choice was Stratford girls. I’m on border but within catchment for Sutton but have relatives and friends at handsworth and so easier to arrange drop off and collect and DD preferred it over Stratford. However with new proposals I will be outside of catchment area for handsworth and still have sons and daughters to sit the exam in years to come. That’s why I was thinking of now opting for the Warwickshire schools would be better, although still confused. I just don’t understand why they didn’t mention or give out information about these proposals before the current cohort sent in their preference forms. I mean to suggest all of these changes just a few weeks after the October deadline for CAF forms is annoying to say the least.

So am I right in understanding that if I apply to put my DD on the waiting list for my second choice (assuming that she was offered her first choice) she will go down on the list?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

1) you need to check with your LA
2) the proposals have come out as a consultation as is legally required - they are not fact yet.
3) the Stratford GS generally require a much higher score to get a place in than the majority of Bham GS (except CampHill) so you may be better sticking with your original choice - there is NO guarantee subsequent children will be GS suitable. If they are bright, under the current proposals, they can still apply to Birmingham but may need a higher score than they would this year - but still, likely, a lower score than would be needed for guaranteed entry to a Stratford GS.
4) There is no guarantee that the current criteria for the Warks GS will stay the same as they are either - you may be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Whilst most would feel it is easier/cheaper to have all children in the same school, plenty of families cope very well with children in different places - and, often, choosing the right school for each individual child is absolutely the best possible option.
Candel

Post by Candel »

It's an interesting question Smile123 because I'm sure you won't be the only one whose preferences will have changed if the new proposals go ahead. Our choices will remain the same but irritatingly, (assuming these proposals go ahead) if dd had been a month or so younger she would've been travelling 10 minutes on a pulic bus with her brother instead of relying on a longer green-bus journey in the other direction.

I imagine there may be a fair bit of movement this year after offers day because of those like Smile123 who are anticipating future travel complexities and possibly also, as MSD has suggested elsewhere, because more parents may opt for independents if they are worried about the effects these new proposals may have on the standards of the grammar schools ( :roll: ). I hope the LAs are prepared for more chaos than usual this March!
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Smile123, I think it is sensible to look at the proposed plans and see how it might affect your younger children. I do agree with you, this proposal should of been mentioned before the CAF deadline. But it seems they were only considering the 2020 cohort and not much thought went into for 2019 cohort. Certainly first of March will be an interesting day. I hope you get the outcome you want.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now