Ratio problem

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Ratio problem

Post by Guest55 »

I would suggest that parents discuss this with an expert that understands pedagogy [not am unqualified tutor] and the problems of acceleration. Read the research which advises against...
MSD

Post by MSD »

russet wrote:I am quite happy to agree to disagree and leave it to individual parents to decide whether or not to teach algebra to their child and at what age.
Agreed Russet! And also leave it on posters subscribing to this forum to provide solutions they feel is the best fit for the original question. Let the OP decide whether they are of any use for their child and discard rest. Let's not discourage people from providing answers.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MSD wrote: Let's not discourage people from providing answers.
We are here to give answers in line with the NC and age appropriate - that is important or we undermine schools.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I think you're fighting a losing battle, Guest55. This thread has ended up being an example of its own title, a sort of nominative determinism. There is a problem with the ratio of people who know what they're talking about to people who are well-meaning but less informed. One of the reasons that education has become such a muddle in the UK is that there is no shortage of people with no pedagogic training who believe they know better than those who are qualified teachers.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - hardly worth me wasting my time here anymore is it?

Over thirty years study of pedagogy including a Masters and two other postgraduate certificates, including one from the Mathematical Association. Ofsted outstanding teacher and used by LA to support other schools ....

Oh well - mpre time to watch cricket :)
KenR

Post by KenR »

Guest55 wrote: So not really appropriate for the vast majority of students?
I agree maybe not appropriate for all students, but the problem is that, apart from state grammar 11+ applications, if they want also to apply as well to Independent Schools in Birmingham (KEHS, KES, Solihull, EHS etc) and get an Assisted Place/Scholarship then they probably will need an understanding of basic Algebra to answer some of the Maths questions and get a high mark as the majority of Inde 11+ exams will not just stick to the NC.

Many parents in the West Midlands do apply to both Birmingham state grammars as well as Independent Schools. The EPE forum is there to help all parents through the 11+ journey be it the state or Independent 11+ route.

As with a few others, we maybe just have to agree to disagree on Home accelerated learning beyond the NC.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KenR wrote:As with a few others, we maybe just have to agree to disagree on Home accelerated learning beyond the NC.
Have you actually read the research on the dangers of this though KenR?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Guest55 wrote:Over thirty years study of pedagogy including a Masters and two other postgraduate certificates, including one from the Mathematical Association. Ofsted outstanding teacher and used by LA to support other schools ....
"Yeah, but I've watched a youtube video."
KenR

Post by KenR »

Guest55 wrote:
KenR wrote:As with a few others, we maybe just have to agree to disagree on Home accelerated learning beyond the NC.
Have you actually read the research on the dangers of this though KenR?
My DW has - that's why we did this for our DS. The Research conclusions seem to vary by county/region. Some of the US Research for example seems to be at odds with some UK Research. We judged it would benefit our DS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

UK research is universally against it ... including groups specifically set up to look into this.

It causes SO many issues at Secondary with misconceptions.