How to get Certificate of UK residence for EU traineeship???

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Y

How to get Certificate of UK residence for EU traineeship???

Post by Y »

I'm hoping that someone out there may be able to help!

My daughter is applying for an EU traineeship, and needs to get a load of documentation ready even though she may not even be shortlisted, since if she is, she only gets 14 days to acquire and upload it all!

We've worked our way through the easier stuff (including the DBS check for £25), but the one that has us stumped is the 'residency certificate'. This is the conversation she has had so far with the traineeship department:

DD: Please could you clarify what this [residency certificate] is? I am a UK citizen and a residency certificate is not something I have ever required.

EU: The residency certificate has to be issued by the country in which you have resided for the longest period in the last 12 months. It stated that you live in an X city, in the X address. Normally it has to be asked to your municipality.

DD: I think this sounds like you require proof of address, which is not quite the same as proof of residency. UK residents don't normally register their addresses with local authorities, and I've never heard of a residency certificate. However, in the UK, acceptable forms of proof of address include driving licences and bank/building society account statements.

Would a copy of my driving licence and/or a copy of a recent bank/building society account statement suffice? What do UK residents normally provide?

EU: No, we want an official certificate. Please reach out to your municipality or similar to ask what they can do for you.

Unfortunately, there was no response to the bit about what UK residents normally provide.

We've sat together entered all the details requested here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-a-certi ... -residence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it looks unlikely that she will receive a certificate via this means as it really relates to double taxation.

Have any of you had a DC do one of these traineeships? What on earth did they do to get a certificate of residence?
mitasol

Re: How to get Certificate of UK residence for EU traineeshi

Post by mitasol »

I don’t think it is exclusively for taxation. I would just ask - stating why you require the certificate.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... E_1217.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Just a thought but, the Electoral roll? I’m not sure how you’d get proof you’d registered though.

For all the places I’ve worked, it has been a case of proving you have the right to live and work in the UK. For British citizens, that’s been a UK passport/british birth certificate.

For others, I think having a NI number counts?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

that residency is something the Germans have (meldebescheinigung) - you have to register each time you move to a different town, can't get bank account / register with library etc without it . We just don't have it here

Is your DD at college? best bet would be for someone to sign a chit saying she is registered at X college and has been since and lives at XYZ and put lots of official stamps on it
Y

Post by Y »

She's done the online application for a certificate of residency (via HMRC), so we'll have to see if they actually agree to provide anything.

She's now working - not at uni any more. She can't really ask her employer....!!

I did wonder about the electoral roll, but as you say, I'm not sure how you get proof.

I'm wondering about some sort of sworn letter at a solicitors.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there is this https://www.guildford.gov.uk/article/21 ... n-pensions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have a word with the local electoral roll officer

ETA - Coventry do similar http://www.coventry.gov.uk/info/8/elect ... _to_vote/8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Y

Post by Y »

Thanks for all help so far everyone.

I've been on to the electoral office, and they are going to send a letter confirming that she is on the electoral roll at our address. (Doesn't prove residence though... presumably the EU won't care?).

If this isn't enough, I'll update later!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Suspect that will be enough for them - headed notepaper and official words etc
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

In Italy you can self certify: just write a statement that you reside at x address in y town and sign it. Maybe it's no coincidence that most EU traineeships are taken up by Italians? I would suggest the approach must be valid though for countries where there isn't any municipal registration of residents. At a push, contact your local councillor and ask them to countersign it in their official capacity.
Y

Post by Y »

Thanks to everyone for their input.

After a day's effort - which would have been avoided if she'd answered the question about what UK citizens do the first time DD asked it - this is what happened next:

Email from DD: Will a letter from the local Electoral Registration office, stating that I am registered at my current address on the Electoral Roll, be sufficient as a residency certificate?

DD: I have just received the certificate and attached it. Please let me know if this will be sufficient.

Email from EU: This certificate does not seem to be enough to me as it clearly states for election purposes only. Please follow my suggestion to kindly ask your municipality to release you some kind of paper even if they are not used to produce this document.

DD: This is what they suggested.
Please could you find out for me what other uk citizens provide? [This was the second time this question was asked - the first time, it was ignored] That would be really helpful for me.
I’ve requested something from the tax office but I think they are going to refuse to provide it unless it is for a requirement for double taxation purposes. I’m rather at a loss to know what else to do.

EU: I will indeed verify with our evaluation team if we can accept this document.

EU: I confirm you that the letter from the local Electoral Registration office will be enough to proof your residence.

So now we know!