Around Dulwich

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silverysea

Around Dulwich

Post by silverysea »

Can anyone tell me about good 6th forms for girls or co Ed in South London?
ToadMum

Re: Around Dulwich

Post by ToadMum »

silverysea wrote:Can anyone tell me about good 6th forms for girls or co Ed in South London?
Are you moving house?

I would assume that JAGS or Alleyn's School have pretty good sixth forms if you want indie.

State-wise, Kingsdale seems to be rather the wonder of the age. Back in the day when it would probably have been DH's non-selective destination, though, it was so dire that red-or-dead MIL pushed him to take and pass the 11+, which at the time was the ticket to a funded place at an establishment up the road much more desirable - and well-known for all the right reasons :lol: .

If the intended A level subjects are (pretty narrowly) Maths-related, then the Kings Maths School up near the Imperial War Museum has a good reputation.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thanks Toadmum. My job has moved there, the commute is deadly for me, and dd is looking at all her options just in case she doesn’t get the subjects she wants (which are not yet entirely narrowed down). I predict she will get what she wants on past performance and attitude, and that’s why I haven’t really bothered, but she wants the security of a fallback. We intend to move in any case, it’s a matter of when, not if.

Not being at all familiar with the south London area, I thought I’d ask on here. Maybe I should try the state forums too. We are going to apply for state 6th forms in North London but it’s only because they are familiar, she said she didn’t care if it was familiar or where it was really.

That Kings Math place is an interesting phenomenon isn’t it? No way would this dd be happy with such a narrow focus but there are many who would be in heaven I imagine. The grades speak for themselves, but they are always going to be good if they don’t have to bother with a range of provision!
mad?

Post by mad? »

CLGS is (so I hear) easily doable from Dulwich. Sydenham High as well. Also there are Colfes and St Dunstans. There are some fantastic state schools in South London, but catchments are very tight, I imagine even at 6th form, so if you move for one be sure she will get in. Good luck.
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

From a Thameslink station, I think CLSG would be accessible through changing to the Circle line at Blackfriars, or if you like a bit of exercise, walking from Farringdon? It's definitely not the worst journey imaginable (okay, it's Thameslink :roll: ).

Once upon a time, there were Thameslink services via Barbican...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Depending on how far out you want to come you could consider Newstead Wood and St Olave's in Orpington or Dartford GS. There's also ToGS, WOK and Judd which maybe accessible by train depending on where you move to.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Sutton grammar and Wally boys both have co-Ed sixth firms.
Trinity might be an option if you want an Indy but the exams happened in Nov for next year.Not sure if there are other sittings.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

It’s too late for CLSG as far as I can fathom, they have already sat subject
entrance exams. I will look at the others, thanks. We are doing an application for Kingsdale, which looks good on line.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

silverysea wrote:
That Kings Math place is an interesting phenomenon isn’t it? No way would this dd be happy with such a narrow focus but there are many who would be in heaven I imagine. The grades speak for themselves, but they are always going to be good if they don’t have to bother with a range of provision!
A short aside:

Extremely strong A Level grades (or equivalent) are all about selecting academically as late as possible, rather than necessarily a narrow subject focus.

The King's Maths grades are typical of a cohort selected at age 16 - witness the performance of girls (and boys) going into the Westminster School Sixth Form since the 1970s.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

ToadMum wrote:
silverysea wrote:Can anyone tell me about good 6th forms for girls or co Ed in South London?
Are you moving house?

I would assume that JAGS or Alleyn's School have pretty good sixth forms if you want indie.

State-wise, Kingsdale seems to be rather the wonder of the age. Back in the day when it would probably have been DH's non-selective destination, though, it was so dire that red-or-dead MIL pushed him to take and pass the 11+, which at the time was the ticket to a funded place at an establishment up the road much more desirable - and well-known for all the right reasons :lol: .

If the intended A level subjects are (pretty narrowly) Maths-related, then the Kings Maths School up near the Imperial War Museum has a good reputation.
I have several friends with children at Kingsdale who are all very happy there. This is the main school, not the sixth form, but I imagine there isn't much difference in terms of how the place is run and the general culture.

I believe that entrance to Kingsdale in Y7 is an actual lottery, which caused some angst locally, but presumably the sixth form admission route is more straightforward.