Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 220

Post by ToadMum »

From ye actual KES website. No mention of A levels. Perhaps they had the lads sit a random set that year for comparison purposes in the league tables?

https://kes.org.uk/academic/exam-results/

Oops - just noticed the 'conversion table', presumably what PP used.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ForwardThinker4

Post by ForwardThinker4 »

ToadMum wrote:From ye actual KES website. No mention of A levels. Perhaps they had the lads sit a random set that year for comparison purposes in the league tables?

Oops - just noticed the 'conversion table', presumably what PP used.
To be honest I just got the figures from The Sunday Times Parent Power website, but yes it seems the KES site provides a conversion table which shows KES did outperform CHB when converted. However I don't want to make this a KES vs CHB debate, it was more a case of me wondering if parents who were no longer in a position to send their children to their preferred grammar due to catchment, would now be inclined to opt for the independents as they were very high performing with no catchment?
KenR

Post by KenR »

JaneEyre wrote: You have posted something before I have the time to correct something wrongly typed as my finger must have slipped as I haven't typed KHES when I meant to do that. Amendment done above.

You cannot compared KES and CHB at the end of sixth form as the former offers IB whilst the latter offers A levels, so I have no idea from where this data is coming from. :shock: :shock:
You can't really compare KEHS with KES or the KE Grammars either as KEHS does iGCSE
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

ToadMum wrote:From ye actual KES website. No mention of A levels. Perhaps they had the lads sit a random set that year for comparison purposes in the league tables?

This is the information that I used to gather the sub-mentioned data; I also used the GCSE results from the CHB's website.
ForwardThinker4 wrote: To be honest I just got the figures from The Sunday Times Parent Power website, but yes it seems the KES site provides a conversion table which shows KES did outperform CHB when converted.
You cannot really 'convert' this kind of results. The IB and the A level are simply too different!
KenR wrote: You can't really compare KEHS with KES or the KE Grammars either as KEHS does iGCSE
I agree with you KenR.
Sportdad

Post by Sportdad »

JaneEyre wrote:
Sportdad wrote:Personally I would like to see greater social mobility, and the proposed changes help achieve that objective. We need more DIVERSITY in grammar schools .

Furthermore, Birmingham schools should be for those families who pay Birmingham council tax. End of.
Sportdad, have you ever visited the GS in Birmingham? Do they lack diversity in your opinion?

Your former posts on this thread were strange and appeared to reflect a profound lack of knowledge of the reality...
Your posts always leave me uneasy and I wish I could meet you in person to discover your real face...
Social mobility, diversity......you clearly perceive it to be bad. Oh dear.
Apologies for having an opinion.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Sportdad wrote:Social mobility, diversity......you clearly perceive it to be bad. Oh dear.
Apologies for having an opinion.
Of course not, sportdad. Hence why I am against this idea of catchment areas.

Everybody is entitled to have an opinion and to defend it.

But it is not authorised to spur racism or hatred amongst the social divide and this is what your former posts seemed to aim at.

Have a proper debate based on reality if you want to defend your opinion.

A useful reminder

Forum Rules

1. Name calling, insults and “flaming” (provocative or hostile posting) are not permitted.

2. Posts that may cause offence or are simply inappropriate, that may incite religious or racial hatred, or contain potentially libellous comments, will be removed without warning.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ?f=9&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to correct a typo and consequently to change the word 'debate' to avoid a repetition!
Last edited by JaneEyre on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Many parents on here don't seem to have much faith in their "high performing" kids, (or the Birmingham Grammars) unless they go to a certain school. If a child scores 245+ in the 11+ why would they not continue to do well in any grammar school? My son scored very highly and goes to LSS in Rugby where he mixes with kids who only scored 210 :shock: and he continues to perform very well, as do many of those "non high performing kids who scraped a pass" :?
In fact the school itself performs very well considering its lowly intake :wink:
I find the attitudes of many parents and their snobbery regarding "high performing children" quite distasteful.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

KenR wrote:
JaneEyre wrote: You have posted something before I have the time to correct something wrongly typed as my finger must have slipped as I haven't typed KHES when I meant to do that. Amendment done above.

You cannot compared KES and CHB at the end of sixth form as the former offers IB whilst the latter offers A levels, so I have no idea from where this data is coming from. :shock: :shock:
You can't really compare KEHS with KES or the KE Grammars either as KEHS does iGCSE
KEHS take a mix of iGCSE and GCSE, as do KES and CHB. Can't speak for any of the other GS but I'd be surprised if there are no iGCSE in the mix.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

mike1880 wrote: KEHS take a mix of iGCSE and GCSE, as do KES and CHB.
It was like that a few years ago at the time your DS was at CHB. With the new GCSEs, I am under the impression that the situation has progressed... but I am might not be entirely up-to-date.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The booklet on their website says it's a mix...but it's a very old booklet...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now