Gcse Computer Science

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Decisiontime639

Gcse Computer Science

Post by Decisiontime639 »

Hi all,

Dd is in the process of choosing her gcses. We’ve heard a lot of mixed opinions on Computer Science GCSE. Could anyone who is doing it/has done it talk a little about what it’s like. How much/level of coding.
For background, dd is choosing between geography and cs. She is already doing history, spanish and DT and needs a fourth option.

Thank you
Decisiontime639.
doodles

Re: Gcse Computer Science

Post by doodles »

Ds2 sat this last summer and he also did geography so should be able to help. I will ask him when he gets back from rugby training.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Decisiontime639

Thank you :)
doodles wrote:Ds2 sat this last summer and he also did geography so should be able to help. I will ask him when he gets back from rugby training.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I don't think ds's thoughts are going to be much help actually. He enjoyed both geography and CS and would now find it hard to chose one over the other. There is an assessed coding element but for his cohort this was cancelled nationally after a leak / blunder so this did skew things a bit. However, he was pleasantly surprised by CS and found it very interesting having chosen it as his last "don't know what else to do" option.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

DS is taking computer science. Half of the result is based on a paper in which you are quizzed on your responses to pre released data and information that requires a coding solution. Have a look at the details of the board your DC would take. DS had no coding experience outside school but has not struggled with this aspect of the course. There are lots of free resources you can use to practice. I think its a great subject to do these days.

DD took Geography last year in the first year of the new syllabus. She enjoyed it (taking it for A level) but there seemed to be a huge amount of material in the course - they only finished the week before. This subject also includes a paper based on your response to pre-released data and information (Edexcel).

Make sure she fully understands what each course covers, speak again with teachers and older students in the school.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I have a dd who has exelled at computer science...is now studying at A level and planning to go onto CS degree and a son who I thought would have been a dead cert for it hated it and ended up dropping it due to ill health issues.
It is a bit of a marmite subject and possibly depends on the passion and enthusiasm of the teacher....as the CS GCSE teacher was definitely one if my dd’s favourites, and possibly the resources available.
Decisiontime639

thank you for all the replies
we are leaning towards Computer Science
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now