Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
altfhn

Change of Address

Post by altfhn »

Hello

I am a novice in this forum.

I am requesting following information from any veteran memeber or moderator please.

I have plan that my son will sit for the Kent test next year.

I am living in centreal London. Just wondering how do the Kent allocate places!

Do they all school have their own catchment area?

Is there any opportunity to change the address after 31 october eg. Bexley is by 8 December?

Thank you very much in anticipation
PettswoodFiona

Re: Change of Address

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Welcome to the forum. Most Kent grammars have defined parishes that arectheir core catchment. Some have places for those who are out of area. All are subtly different. Yes you can move by a certain date in early Dec but often need to prove you’ve cut ties with the other property. https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... -areas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do think about what you would do if you can’t move in time and also for last terms of primary school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

We are not in Kent, but I would just caution that our local authority changed its rules re change of address (address used to be that as at 31/10, changes after this only processed after 1st March, rather than having a 'grace period'), so presumably other LAs could decide to change theirs. Also individual schools can set their own.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

OP, you seem to be considering a number of schools/areas. The best thing you can do is study the school websites for their admissions policies as well as the local authority website for their "Moving up to secondary school" information. Everything you need will be in those places. People here will be happy to help & give you information but it is always best to check the most recent information yourself. Things can & do change.
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

Welcome OP. With regard to Kent this link should be good for you and I'm sure people will be happy to help further when you have narrowed things down a bit. Good luck

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... -areas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The other thing to check is whether any of the schools you are interested in is planning a change to its admissions policy for 2020 entry. We are slap bang in the middle of the statutory window for consultations and each school concerned should have its consultation document clearly signposted on its website - but probably a good idea to phone the school to check, anyway (assuming that it hasn't already broken up for Christmas).

Schools (or more correctly, the relevant admissions authority, which may be the school itself or the LEA) have to consult every seven years, even if no channges are being proposed, though, so you may find yourself wading through a few which don't indicate any changes from their 2019 policy. Better that, though, than risk not reading one and then finding that something which crucially affects your DC is being proposed. Unless changes are directly in contravention of the Admissions Code or other relevant legislation, they are more likely than not to go through.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

You could move in July after the school year ends.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sparklecat wrote:You could move in July after the school year ends.

But where to? The OP has also posed the same query in Essex and Essex - Redbridge.

altfhn, it might be an idea to have a good look at each area (perhaps visit the areas around the schools over the next couple of months, have a look at any commuting issues you may have, the non-selective school options etc) and then decide on one place to move to in good time for the submission of your CAF?