Question help please

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mumhill

Question help please

Post by Mumhill »

Please advise as to the method to solve this question, I don’t know where to start and how to advise son.

Alice, Ben, Colin, dick and Emily have 90p between them. The boys have twice as much as the girls.
How much have the boys?

Thank you in advance
hermanmunster

Re: Question help please

Post by hermanmunster »

Is there no more info? Do the 3 boys together have twice as much as the girls? or individually?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mumhill wrote:Please advise as to the method to solve this question, I don’t know where to start and how to advise son.

Alice, Ben, Colin, dick and Emily have 90p between them. The boys have twice as much as the girls.
How much have the boys?

Thank you in advance
Assuming that the groups are 'The Boys' and The Girls', you have two groups and one group has twice as much money as the other group.

So the total number of 'units' of money is...?
And the actual amount The Girls' group has, is 90p divided by that number of units, which is...
So the amount of money 'The Boys' group has, is twice that amount, which is...?

Unless the question means, How much does each individual boy have?, in which case, the calculation is different.

Where does the question come from? Have you got the answers / marking scheme?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mumhill

Post by Mumhill »

Thank you for your help.
The question is exactly as I typed it hence why a bit confused.
My son goes to a tutor and this is part of his homework so no scheme.
He’s not done them before so both stuck.

I tried dividing but couldn’t get exactly 90p without half pence which obviously doesn’t exist.
Mumhill

Post by Mumhill »

I read it as how much does each boy have each but not sure I correct
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Mumhill wrote:Please advise as to the method to solve this question, I don’t know where to start and how to advise son.

How much have the boys?

Thank you in advance
I think, with just that info, you have to make some assumptions.
I assumed that it only wants to know 'the boys' as a total - it doesn't say how much has each boy.
Boys have twice as much as girls so boys have 2 parts out of the 3 (i.e. 2/3rds) and girls have 1 part out of the 3 (i.e. 1/3rd)

Boys have 2/3rds of 90p so that is 60p

Unless I am missing something.
(Whilst fully expecting to be shot down by Guest for doing something beyond KS2 curriculum)
russet

Post by russet »

I agree with Reading Mum, as if it meant each boy has twice as much as each girl it would involve dividing 90p into 8 equal amounts, which cannot be done with whole pence.

I think the tutor probably did not think of the other possible interpretation of the wording when he or she set the question.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

russet wrote:I agree with Reading Mum, as if it meant each boy has twice as much as each girl it would involve dividing 90p into 8 equal amounts, which cannot be done with whole pence.

I think the tutor probably did not think of the other possible interpretation of the wording when he or she set the question.
I also agree with Reading Mum, however I thought the wording was fine because of the amounts involved and the level it is aimed at.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now