BBC bitezize

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eccentric

BBC bitezize

Post by Eccentric »

What is BBC bitesize like as a revision tool? It looks OK to me but my Dd says it is only any good for people who want to get 4 and 5s.
Dd is running out of time and hasn’t revised geography at all (she forgot about it) so I suggested that she spend an hour or so going through the revision tests on BBC bitesize. She seems to think she would be better served doing a couple of practice questions. What would you advise that you DC did if they only had a couple of hours to revise a whole subject?
Tinkers

Re: BBC bitezize

Post by Tinkers »

I think your DD is probably closer to the mark. It’s useful for a quick check of what you know, but in general it’s more of an overview. It might be useful in this specific geoagraphy case for your DD, but my DD didn’t find it useful at all. It’s not really exam board specific either (from memory) and I don’t know how well it has been updated following the new GCSEs (it didn’t look to be last year, but they may have caught up).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The whole website has been updated, so yes, new syllabus and also exam board specific.

e.g. Biology (single subject)

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/z9ddmp3

And tbh, topics such as 'how to tackle Problem Solving' in Maths bear committing to memory, whether you are hoping for a 4, or think you are in line for a 9 :) .

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zyy97p3/revision/1
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Good grief yes, that is an improvement.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Eccentric wrote: What would you advise that you DC did if they only had a couple of hours to revise a whole subject?
If this is for mocks then honestly I would tell them not to bother.
If they really only have a couple of hours for a whole subject then they are better off forgetting it for the moment and learning a lesson from it for the real thing. I guess that is what mocks are for in part, to learn from one's mistakes.
However, from what you say I very much doubt that she has not revised already and is just having a meltdown, which is painful to watch but something for them to learn from, and very common. Revising over Christmas is awful and naturally DCs need to vent, usually at their Mums :roll: . IME (I have 2 DDs) this can sometimes mean overdramatising things for effect (unwittingly of course) and my advice is not to get sucked in to it. Both of you accepting that you cannot solve all her problems for her and sometimes that is just the way it is will do wonders for both of you. Next time she will have done the revision.
In the meantime I suggest forced time off and hot chocolate.
Good luck, I'd like to say it gets better, but perhaps it is just our ability to deal with it that does. I can't remember if your DD is doing art, but if not, thank your lucky stars and have a glass of wine.
mad?
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

mad? wrote:
Eccentric wrote: What would you advise that you DC did if they only had a couple of hours to revise a whole subject?
If this is for mocks then honestly I would tell them not to bother.
If they really only have a couple of hours for a whole subject then they are better off forgetting it for the moment and learning a lesson from it for the real thing. I guess that is what mocks are for in part, to learn from one's mistakes.
However, from what you say I very much doubt that she has not revised already and is just having a meltdown, which is painful to watch but something for them to learn from, and very common. Revising over Christmas is awful and naturally DCs need to vent, usually at their Mums :roll: . IME (I have 2 DDs) this can sometimes mean overdramatising things for effect (unwittingly of course) and my advice is not to get sucked in to it. Both of you accepting that you cannot solve all her problems for her and sometimes that is just the way it is will do wonders for both of you. Next time she will have done the revision.
In the meantime I suggest forced time off and hot chocolate.
Good luck, I'd like to say it gets better, but perhaps it is just our ability to deal with it that does. I can't remember if your DD is doing art, but if not, thank your lucky stars and have a glass of wine.
Thank you mad. Your post is really very helpful indeed. You speak wise words. I think you are right and DD is exaggerating. I’m getting the wine out now. I have forced a break and compromised with watching a French film Belle et Sébastien. I am also going to insist on no work for two days before return to school and the dreaded mocks.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Did she not make an exam timetable?

It is surprising that she can forget a whole subject that she is having lessons and homework in every week?

Whereabouts is Geography in the schedule of exams? Dg
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Daogroupie wrote:Did she not make an exam timetable?

It is surprising that she can forget a whole subject that she is having lessons and homework in every week?

Whereabouts is Geography in the schedule of exams? Dg
Now that Dd has calmed down she admits that she has revised but that she felt her revision was ineffective. I think she was expecting herself to memorise the case studies.
Yes she had a revision timetable and has for the most part stuck to it I think but tbh I don't get involved with revision unless asked to, until the melt downs happen which is usually because she overworks. I need to learn from this for the actual GCSE's and insist on time off when she starts showing signs of stress. It was clear at least 3 hours before the melt down came yesterday. she did a timed English language question which was disastrous because she is dyslexic she can't do timed essays. She barely wrote half a page in the time. Without the timing given all day her essays are amazing but even with the extra 15 minutes she struggles. This left her feeling useless and inadequate (dyslexic YP should be given more than 15 extra minutes it is barely a nod to processing issues). That led to a meltdown later on and I was sucked in and believed that she needed help with her panicked "I haven't revised at all for Geography"
Talking to her this morning she is calm, pragmatic and logical. She admits that she knows most of the geography. She also realises that no one else will have revised nearly as much as her so when you take away the ineffective dyslexia induced revision she has still done more than many which is how she manages to keep her high levels. She bl**dy well deserves to get top marks. Her work ethic is extraordinary. If it weren't for her dyslexia she probably wouldn't have the same work ethic. Apparently it is a common problem for high IQ dyslexics to strive until they drive themselves into the ground.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’m going to PM you.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Case studies are an area where you can really help her.

Get her to explain the case study to you and ask questions on it.

I did that with my dds and I learnt a lot and dd2 got 100% in that paper. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now